Q. Why is a 5-week-old spitting after formula feed?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

My son is five weeks old and has been having issues with eating. I was not producing enough breastmilk to satisfy him so we began supplementing with formula. We started him on Enfamil newborn which he did not take well. So our doctor switched him to Enfamil gentle ease and he was spitting that up a lot so she then changed him to Enfamil AR which helped a little with spit up. He still spits up a lot but not as much as the previous formulas but now he is extremely constipated to the point where he strains and screams for hours. I am not sure what I can do to help.

#

I got your concern. It is possible due to evening colic or reflux. Do proper burping after feeding. You can start tablet Junior Lanzol (15 mg) half tablet once a day. At present continue same formula feeds. Monitor his weight regularly. For constipation in infants less than six months: If they are passing stool 3 to 4 times a day or once in 3 to 5 days, it is normal. I hope that all his newborn screen is normal.

|