Baby Spitting

My newborn is on formula feed and spits after every feed. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a baby boy via normal delivery. My ten days old infant weighs 3.1 kg, and height is 55 cm. My baby is on formula milk. The name is S26 Gold. Everytime after feeding, he either spit or vomit the milk. We burp him always after every feeding and let him stay upright for 30 minutes...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regurgitation of feeds is a very common problem. But if the baby is bringing our entire feeds, every time after feeding, then, the baby will not gain weight and height properly. The height and weight seem to be normal at present. I presume it was the same on the ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a baby to pass stools normally for about 8 times in a day?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby has severe reflux and is spitting a lot even if I elevate his pillow. The doctor has recommended to put him to sleep on his side. Now the baby is taking formula milk, antireflux which has calmed the spit up. However, the baby is going to stool eight times a day. The stool is ...  Read Full »

Dr. M.l. Kothari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to me hold the baby bottle at 90-degree so that only milk is sucked no air. After feeding put the baby on the left shoulder and pat just behind the stomach level for five minutes to burp on the back of the baby. Baby burp three to five times. After burpi...  Read Full »

How to deal with gas problem in a newborn baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 6-week-old baby. He is only breastfeeding, no formula. He had gas problems like any other baby, and the doctor prescribed us Simethicone for infants (0.5ml) three times a day to help relieve it. He eats and defecates normally (at least once a day, sometimes once every two days...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Usually at this age babies have gas or colic problems. It seems like that only. I need a few more questions to be answered. Does he regurgitates feeds also? Any relation of such episodes with feeding? Is it happening since birth (not thes...  Read Full »

My newborn spits up large amount of milk after feeding with no fever. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 14-day-old baby girl. She is exclusively breast fed, and has been known to spit up quite a bit after every feeding but her pediatrician said it may just be my milk flow is too fast and she is swallowing a lot of air. Her stools are usually orange with stringy bits in it, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. M.l. Kothari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to me hold the baby in one arm keeping his head at the elbow joint and the buttocks in the palm of the same arm and feed the baby for 15 to 20 minutes. Hold the outer palm of the baby in between the thumb and index finger and press the palm whenever the ba...  Read Full »

My 2 months old baby gets gas and spits up even after having Colicaid and Yamoo. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 2 months old. He is on pumped milk and once a day formula milk (Enfamil). He is gassy and cries mostly from evening till midnight. Spits up even after burping for 30 minutes. I give exercise, and tummy time, but there is no change. He gets reflux which makes him uncomfortab...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note the following, 1. The clinical picture that you are giving is most suggestive of reflux. It is advisable first to get a reflux study done to find the grade of reflux. 2. The initial medications to be given in reflux are Zantac (Ranitidine) and Perinorm ...  Read Full »

Which is the best formula food for a 5-week-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five weeks old and has been having issues with eating. I was not producing enough breastmilk to satisfy him so we began supplementing with formula. We started him on Enfamil newborn which he did not take well. So our doctor switched him to Enfamil gentle ease and he was spittin...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I got your concern. It is possible due to evening colic or reflux. Do proper burping after feeding. You can start tablet Junior Lanzol (15 mg) half tablet once a day. At present continue same formula feeds. Monitor his weight regularly. For constipation in infants le...  Read Full »

Why is a 10-week-old baby spitting up after every nursing session?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10-week old projectile spits up after every nursing session. He is scheduled to have an ultrasound of upper GI one week from now to see if he has pyloric stenosis. Last night he was up until 7 AM screaming in pain. He is hungry all the time and I feel like I am doing more harm than...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your misery. However, I feel the line of management chosen is appropriate. If you could arrange for getting a USG abdomen done earlier it would be good. An X-ray of the erect abdomen can also be done to get an approximate judgment about the same. Another st...  Read Full »