Q. I have a doubt in the alignment of my fracture healing. Kindly advice.

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 22, 2019

Please see my attached files and advised me that my radius bone is healing in alignment or not. My fracture is 20 days old, and plaster is opened swelling and pain in these areas. I doubt that my bone is not in alignment.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

You are right, and the radius is out of alignment. The dorsal angulation appears to be 15 degrees. This is eyeballing, and I may be off by a few degrees, but the position is not acceptable in a young person, again I am assuming that you are less than 40 years of age and this is your right hand. Secondly, in the AP view the radial translation is acceptable, and so is the shortening.

Clinically the wrist may look unshapely when compared with the opposite side if this is obvious and now 20 days down the line it can still be manipulated and put into a molded plaster as further delay will mean that the fracture will need a surgical procedure to improve alignment. I do not know why did they remove the plaster at 20 days as the plaster should be on for at least four to five weeks.

InterTan nail got displaced from hip side and causing pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, aged 67, got her hip bone joint fractured. She got operated and InterTan nail got implanted. But nail part got displaced from the hip side and now touching hip bone causing pain. She is weak, having low bone density and suffering from other diseases as well (rheumatoid arth...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She requires implant removal and joint replacement. This is a relatively safe procedure. Plaster cannot be applied over this. For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-an...  Read Full

My partner had slipped and fell on a wooden floor. Kindly give a second opinion on her X-ray.

Query: Hello doctor, My partner had a small accident while on holidays. She slipped and fell on a wooden floor and landed on her outstretched right hand. (dominant hand). Her wrist got injured, received immediate medical attention with a splint attached, and an X-ray image was taken about 14 hours after th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a fracture involving the lower end of the radius and in the styloid process of ulna bone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is not much displacement in the fracture areas. It is essential that you meet a consultant orthopedician and revi...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now