Q. Kindly view the X-ray and give us a second opinion.

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 28, 2019

My partner had a small accident while on holidays. She slipped and fell on a wooden floor and landed on her outstretched right hand. (dominant hand). Her wrist got injured, received immediate medical attention with a splint attached, and an X-ray image was taken about 14 hours after the accident. She received a cast after the diagnosis of a fracture of the tip of the ulna.

We would like to have a second opinion based on the attached images, especially whether other damage can be identified on the radius or other wrist bones, and whether more invasive treatment is necessary. Swelling and pain have experience on both sides of the wrist (radius and ulna), but the movement of fingers, including the thumb, did not incur further pain. The swinging of the hand sideways or up and down was also possible and without increased pain. No numbness or circulation issues have been identified.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

There is a fracture involving the lower end of the radius and in the styloid process of ulna bone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is not much displacement in the fracture areas. It is essential that you meet a consultant orthopedician and review the injured areas. In such cases, usually a splint and cast are provided, and once the inflammation comes down in four to five days, then a definitive treatment on the fracture might be thought of.

Accidentally, had a hit in my fractured arm. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a plate in my right ulna from a previous injury. I have had one plate snap on me and had to have it replaced last month. It was a hard heal. As there was a 3 mm gap between both sides of the ulna, they decided to put synthetic bone graft around it. Tonight, I accidentally had a hit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no doubt that x-rays of the affected forearm should be done in both AP (anteroposterior) and lateral views to rule out any bony crack especially at the plate ends as these are potential areas of stresses. Until that time, my advice will be to start with ice pa...  Read Full

What are the reasons for wrist pain?

Query: Hi doctor, Three years ago, my right hand was accidentally ran over. X-ray showed no broken bones, but throughout the year I had extreme pain on the right hand side of my wrist next to the bone. I never know when the pain on the right hand side of my wrist is going to happen or how long the intense ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history. There are three probable diagnosis in your case: Triangular fibrocartilage complex injury (TFCC). Non-union scaphoid. De Quervain's disease (painful inflammation of thumb that extends to wrist). TFCC injury is a soft tissue injury and wri...  Read Full

Shall I go with compression wrap for wrist sprain?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a mild sprain while using a punching bag. But, it does not hurt at all in my two days off work. Now I am back to work, on day three since my injury, and it hurts really bad. I am locked in for the next several hours and I can tough it out. Obviously I am going to be doing some h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Better late than never. Go for compression wrap (active type or elastic wrist splint). Rest your wrist. If pain does not go down or increase in spite of all the measures and medication in two to four weeks then go for MRI wrist. Do specify your complaints more elabora...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now