Q. I need a second opinion regarding my kid's clavicle fracture.

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

My 1 year old kid fell down and had clavicle - collarbone fracture. I have attached the images. On the image it looks like the bone is apart. Doctors told to leave it as such and it will be fine in a three week's time. But, I am looking for a second opinion as the bone is apart and I am not sure how it will become normal. If the bone joined, will it look different from the normal bone? Will it have any impact in the future while lifting weights, playing, etc? No medication was given. A plaster was pasted around the shoulder.

#

I have seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• My decision in such case is to operate and fix the bone as the gap is quite good. If not done, then it could lead to misalignment of the bone and this would be a great problem in the future.
  • Bone is going to get fixed on itself in a few weeks, but proper alignment cannot be guaranteed.
  • In my opinion, I would advise you to see another orthopedic surgeon in person and get your son checked. Also, please share my opinion with your doctor.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

It is already more than a week after she fell down. Initially, she was finding it difficult to move her arms and now she is moving her arms all around without any pain. Does that mean things are good? Or is it still advisable to take another x-ray to make sure that there is no misalignment?

#

• I would recommend another x-ray to check for alignment.
  • Get it done and write back with the report of x-ray along with a photograph of the x-ray film.

Revert back with the report to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|