Q. What could cause frequent irregular periods resulting in anemia and weight loss?

Dr. Tinu Philip

I am a teenager and I got periods five and a half years back. In the start they were irregular. I took medicines for 21 days and I got my periods after a month but as soon as I left them after three months my periods became irregular. Then for some time I did not take any medicine, but still, my periods were irregular. I used to get two to three menses in a month. I got very sick and anemic. I stayed in the hospital for three days where I was given intravenous iron treatment, three bottles. I had regular periods after that for a year or less. But my doctor told me to consult a specialist. After that, they were again irregular and then I had them for five months without stopping. I have taken many medicines but all in vain. It has been five years and my periods are irregular. Still, I have got two menses in this month. I have become so skinny and my weight has not increased for the last five years. I will be very grateful if you suggest me something to get better. My ultrasound results do not have any problem.

Dr. Tinu Philip

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand you are deeply troubled by your menstrual cycles. Heavy and frequent bleeding as you suggested will cause anemia and weakness and needs to be treated. On the other hand, if periods are infrequent and less flow, you can treat it without medications too.

In your case, your BMI (body mass index) is very low which is not healthy at all. First, you need to eat healthily. Include lots of proteins and lots of iron-rich foods in your diet.

Secondly, the cause of this bleeding is a hormonal imbalance which usually gets better as you move on to your 20s. Meanwhile, you will have to take hormonal tablets regularly for at least one to two years at a go without changing the medications.

|