Q. There is a sore on my tongue which is recurring at the same spot. Is it cancer?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

The lateral edge of my tongue has a sore which is recurring on the same spot from the last six months and it is painless. It gets cured but keeps coming back after some days. I consulted a few ENT doctors. I was given a vitamin tablet, but nothing helped. My uric acid level is 9.2 and I have some pain in my knees. Apart from that, I have no health issues. I use tobacco for the last 10 years. Is this recurring sore an indication of cancer?

#

• A recurring ulcer at the same site which is getting cured completely in between is a sign of some chronic irritation that might be due to a sharp tooth or tobacco use.
  • As the ulcer gets healed, it means that it is not malignant. But, it would be better to get it examined by an ENT specialist and get it biopsied in case of any doubts.
  • Please send me the picture of your oral cavity and tongue so that I can suggest you better.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

PFA attached pics of the oral cavity and the sore tongue. I have a decayed tooth which is seen in the pics. This tooth got decayed five years back. Every morning, when I wake up, there is bleeding from this tooth. Kindly give your expert comments.

#

I have gone through the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is definitely the decayed tooth which is causing this recurring ulcer. You must get it extracted at the earliest.
  • In the long run, such ulcerative lesions can exhibit malignant changes.

|