Q. There is a sore on my tongue which is recurring at the same spot. Is it cancer?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

The lateral edge of my tongue has a sore which is recurring on the same spot from the last six months and it is painless. It gets cured but keeps coming back after some days. I consulted a few ENT doctors. I was given a vitamin tablet, but nothing helped. My uric acid level is 9.2 and I have some pain in my knees. Apart from that, I have no health issues. I use tobacco for the last 10 years. Is this recurring sore an indication of cancer?

#

• A recurring ulcer at the same site which is getting cured completely in between is a sign of some chronic irritation that might be due to a sharp tooth or tobacco use.
  • As the ulcer gets healed, it means that it is not malignant. But, it would be better to get it examined by an ENT specialist and get it biopsied in case of any doubts.
  • Please send me the picture of your oral cavity and tongue so that I can suggest you better.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

PFA attached pics of the oral cavity and the sore tongue. I have a decayed tooth which is seen in the pics. This tooth got decayed five years back. Every morning, when I wake up, there is bleeding from this tooth. Kindly give your expert comments.

#

I have gone through the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is definitely the decayed tooth which is causing this recurring ulcer. You must get it extracted at the earliest.
  • In the long run, such ulcerative lesions can exhibit malignant changes.

| 

Will leaving tobacco chewing cure oral fibrosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a patient of oral fibrosis. Is it curable or not? And leaving tobacco is how much helpful?  Read Full »

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?

Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »

Why is there repeated mouth ulcer in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4 years 9 months old. He is a healthy kid with normal weight (17 to 18 kg). But, he often gets a mouth ulcer. It is quite often like once in two months mainly in his buccal mucosa and inner corner of the lip which touches the primary canine. This hurts him and so he avoids food...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»