Q. There is a lesion on my penis. Is that a tumor or is it due to scratching?

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I have dermatitis on my scrotum area. I generally scratch my groin and scrotum a lot due to itching, especially at night. Today all of a sudden I saw some lesion in my inner part of the penis. The picture is attached. Is that due to constant scratching? Or is that any tumor or something related to cancer? Please let me know. Thank you.

#

After reviewing the information shared and your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), a few things come to mind.

• You have some infection, most likely fungal in your groin region. The picture does not show that so cannot be sure.
  • The lesion in the picture is just a bleeding in the mucosa of your penis. This is not a sign of cancer. It is because of violent itching. Leave it alone; it will heal in two weeks time.
  • I suggest you use powder Candid or Abzorb (Clotrimazole 1 %) in your groin twice a day for two to three weeks.
  • Keep your groin and scrotal area clean with soap and water. It is better to remove the pubic hair and then take pictures of whole groin and scrotal area and follow up.
  • Do not use hair removal cream; it will injury area with dermatitis. Also, do not use your deodorant in your groin as you can be allergic to it.
  • If the itch is very bothersome, then I suggest tablet Allegra 120 (Fexofenadine 120 mg) at bedtime 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals for five days. This medicine should be taken with other medications you take, and it can cause drowsiness in some, so do not drive or use fast moving machinery.
  • Most likely the powder would have taken care of the fungus and itching will stop. I hope that helps in addressing your concerns.
  • Talk to your doctor regarding the above information. You should take medicines only after due approval of your doctor.
  • Attach a couple of good quality pictures of the site of problem lesion by placing a measuring tape around 10 cm from the edge of the lesion.

For further information consult a surgical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

|