Q. I have rash near the bikini line. What is it?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Oct 09, 2018

I have developed some sort of a rash near the bikini line (on the inner left side of the thigh). It is extremely itchy and uncomfortable. Could you please tell me what it is. The image is attached.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is tinea which is a superficial fungal infection of the skin. You need to take oral and topical antifungals. If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take tablet Terbinafine (tablet Sebifin) 250 mg twice daily and apply Luliconazole cream (Lulifin cream) on the affected area once daily. For itching, take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily. These need to be continued for four weeks. These are prescription drugs and should be taken under the supervision of the doctor. Also, keep the area dry and clean, avoid sharing of soaps and towel, stay in a cool airy environment and wear loose-fitting cotton clothes.

I am pregnant. So these medicines are fine to take now?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You do not have to take oral antifungal medicines in pregnancy. You can apply Luliconazole cream on the affected areas once daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4 mg once daily at bedtime for itching. Continue this for two weeks and revert.

I have now developed another rash on my feet. Attaching image. Could you please tell me what this is? Can I use the same cream for this as well?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed the attached photograph and it is also looking like ringworm infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can apply the same cream (Luliconazole) on it as well. If associated with itching, take antihistaminic like tablet Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4 mg once daily at bedtime. These medicines are safe in pregnancy. Just wanted to ask you whether this rash is present on one foot or both the feet?

It is present in both feet. It keeps coming back but clears up on its own.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I would recommend you to apply the same cream for two weeks and revert.

But, why does it keep coming back and at the same spot? Is it because I do not treat it with any cream or medicines?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

It is looking like tinea most likely. It will recur at the same spot if you are not using any medicines for it. Apply Luliconazole cream once daily for two weeks. If it does not improve, the other possibility is eczema.

Thank you for answering all my questions so patiently.

Are these patches behind the ear and on the back of head due to tinea capitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Do you think I have tinea capitis? I am attaching my shaved head photograph. I am currently using Ketoconazole 2 % shampoo.  Read Full »

What can be done for recurrent tinea infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I appear to have a tinea infection on my hands. I previously hand one two years ago and symptoms are the same, peeling between fingers, sore and itchy skin, some scaly patches. A doctor here advised Clotrimazole cream and 150 mg of Flucanozole every week for four weeks. That initially wo...  Read Full »

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Ask a Cosmetologist Now