Q. I am getting a cold sore in the same spot on my cheek. What treatment do you suggest?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

I was told that this thing on my cheek is a cold sore (photo attached). It comes in the same spot on my cheek every time. It has been coming and going for several years. Now, it showed up last week and progressed to this level. What is your opinion on this? I know you probably cannot tell by a picture, but I figured I would show you what it looks like. It itches a little bit at times. My glans are swollen and are tender to the touch on my right side (same side as the outbreak) and also my ear aches on the right side. Also, you can tell the right side of my face is a little bit swollen. It blisters and oozes, and at that point, I cover it with a band-aid if I have to work or if I have to go out into the public. I have a perception for Valacyclovir twice a day. I put clean and clear persa-gel on it at night to help dry it out, but I do not use anything during the day unless I have a band-aid over it like today and I put Apexicon cream on it. Please help I can't except that this is a cold sore. I have also been told it is a Staph infection and treated for it, but it kept coming back in the same spot. I was supposed to get a biopsy, but my dermatologist is faithful it is a cold sore and refused to do one.

#

• From your history and clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the diagnosis would be more in favor of a furuncle (Staph infection) or acne with secondary infection.
  • It does not appear to be eczema or contact dermatitis. It seems infective rather than eczematous.
  • I would advise you to try a course of Doxycycline to cover for MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) as you have mentioned that your lesion has been recurrent.

I suggest the below prescription for a week. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

1) Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast.
2) Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily after food. Continue Persol gel at night.

Do not prick at it and no repeated touching of the face. Also, avoid nose-picking with fingers.

Revert after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|