Q. Is it logical to treat staphylococcal infection they do not know the baby has for sure?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

My daughter is almost 11 weeks old and was admitted to the hospital on the 11th. Blood culture came back negative but she tested positive for RSV and also had bronchiolitis. She was discharged on the 15th and readmitted the next day 16th.

The primary physician did not like the way she was breathing. My daughter was pinched several times in the ER for a blood culture which the next day came back positive. The doctor performed additional culture as he believes the positive results were due to a contaminate. Blood culture came back negative.

The 42-hour culture that tested positive is appearing to be staph aureus. One doctor is suggesting getting a central line and treating her for 10 days. I am just looking for a second opinion as I do not see the logic in treating something they do not officially know she has. She has had no fevers.

#

I understand your concern.

Culture positive for Staph Aureus infection needs treatment. A central line is advised and when it is difficult to get, a peripheral line or prolonged course of treatment is needed.

Even if the baby is not having a fever (which is a good sign), the antibiotic course needs to be completed, as half a course of antibiotics leads to more complications like drug resistance or partially treated meningitis.

If resources are limited in the setting, we also consider clinical findings like if the baby is tolerating feed well, weight gain present, no fever, looking well, and hemodynamically stable. If all are there then usually we consider them.

It is possible that not always you get the cause, but when the child is having symptoms, we have to treat it, initially with empiric medication and simultaneously look for the cause.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|