A furuncle, otherwise called a boil, is caused by a bacterial infection affecting the hair follicles. It appears as red raised bumps on the inflamed skin. When it ruptures, it produces pus. It commonly affects the head, neck, and thigh regions. Warm compresses help to drain furuncle.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What is the reason for recurrent lumps in my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a lump in my penis. When I had this before, it just went down using a cream and it has come back five months later in the same place. I have had the same partner. I had sex repeatedly and a week later, I noticed it. I have attached a picture.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be a furuncle secondary to an infected hair follicle, which might be caused by pulling out of hair. Apply a steroid based ointment, so that it subsides. If it is painful, use an ant...  Read Full »

How to treat a pimple that turned into a large sore?

Query: Hello doctor, I had what I thought was a pimple on my inner thigh. I tried to pop it, but it just got swollen and red. It has now been three to four days and it has turned into a large open sore. It is about 3/8 inches wide and only hurts when it rubs against clothing. I am attaching a picture of ...  Read Full »

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the image. Your concern is a healing furuncle. You require a course of oral antibiotics. I suggest you start using T-Bact ointment (Mupirocin topical) twice daily along with Paracetamol tablets for reducing the pain until you consult a physician. Fo...  Read Full »

I have a pimple-like lump on my head. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old male. I have had pimple-like lumps in one spot on my head for about six months. Please help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. In the picture (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) by looking I think it is furuncle or commonly called as boil. It is painful pus filled bump under the skin which starts as reddish, tender swelling and gets filled up wit...  Read Full »

How to manage the reddish lump present on the bottom of my butt cheek?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a reddish lump on the bottom of my buttcheek and top of my right thigh. It is causing a lot of problems. I cannot walk or sit properly without hurting it, and when pressure is applied on them, it hurts with extreme pain. It remains the size of a golf ball and grows daily on walking....  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. It looks like a furuncle, which is a type of cutaneous bacterial infection of hair follicles in which there is a formation of erythematous and painful lump formation. The lump is usually filled with pus, or there can be pus discharge. As yo...  Read Full »

How to get rid of recurrent blisters on the cheek?

Query: Hi doctor, I was told that this thing on my cheek is a cold sore (photo attached). It comes in the same spot on my cheek every time. It has been coming and going for several years. Now, it showed up last week and progressed to this level. What is your opinion on this? I know you probably cannot tell...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history and clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the diagnosis would be more in favor of a furuncle (Staph infection) or acne with secondary infection. It does not appear to be eczema or contact dermatitis. It seems infective rather...  Read Full »

Why do I have a cyst-like thing on the ear which is inflamed and sore?

Query: Hello doctor, The recent COVID test is positive. I got shingles on my chest last month. Now with the cyst-type thing on ear. Very inflamed and sore. It came on the head tonight. Not sure if it is related to the shingles or just inflammatory from COVID.  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) you have sent. You have developed a furuncle over the ear with accumulated pus in it. This usually happens in infect...  Read Full »

How are two painful pimple-like structures on my penis treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I masturbated twice a day for the past three days. But I have stopped doing it now because I got two pimple-like structures on my penis. The first one is present on the right side and another one is below the shaft near the joining point of the penis and scrotum. One o...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You seem to have furuncles and it has to be removed by a physician. Please get an appointment soon and remove it. You have furuncles due to shaving of the intimate area. Please do not do it. You can shorten the hair by using a safe electric hair trimmer. Do not use a shaver...  Read Full »

How is furuncle on the penis treated?

Query: Hi, I have a problem. I am a 24 year old caucasian male. Past history: 1 and a half years ago a boil - carbuncle formed on my penis, popped after 4 days. I used Framykoin for a week and it went away. A month later molluscum contagosium formed right above penis, stayed like that for 2 weeks, then doc...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Coming to the differential diagnosis and treatment: Chances of it being furuncle is less as it is a progressive condition and would have certainly popped out by pressing. Carbuncle is the collection of furuncle, so chances of it again is very less. Since you have a...  Read Full »

What could be a hard pimple-like bump on toe?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a pimple-like bump on my toe. When I tried to pop it I noticed that it was hard. It hurts when I walk and I now have three bumps. Two of them are flat now.  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We appreciate your concern about your skin eruption. Before I am able to help you in this regard, I would like to have the following additional information: What was the location of the original and recent bumps? Specifically, were they on the upper side of the toe...  Read Full »

What causes pain under the armpit in a pregnant lady?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 2 months and 5 days pregnant. She is having pain under her right armpit for two weeks. It pains only if we touch it. Is there any issue with this? She is taking Pregnacare medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. It seems like she might have some furuncle (boil) under her armpit. It would be useful if you could share any picture of the lesion, so that accurate diagnosis and advice can be given. But as she is pregnant so I would recommend to consult your local doctor as well an...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.