Q. I have been suffering from recurring vaginal boils. What should I do?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I have been suffering from recurring vaginal boils for over a week now. They are very painful. I have tried applying Neosporin ointment, but it does not seem to work. What should I do to treat them? Can I take antibiotics to treat them?

#

I understand your concern. I would like to know if these boils are associated with itching and redness. Also, is there any vaginal discharge with a foul smell?

Are these boils at the base of your hair follicles?

Did you shave or wax in the recent past?

Is there any burning sensation during urination?

This information will help me diagnose the cause of the boils, so kindly revert.

Thank you so much for replying. I did cut my pubic hair in the recent past using scissors. I think there was a small cut while doing that. After cutting, I also used a hair remover along my bikini line. Initially, the boils were at the base of my hair follicles. The one I have now is on my labia. There is itching and redness. There is some discharge, but there is no foul smell. There is no burning during urination, but these boils do hurt a lot. I hope this will help.

#

Welcome back to iclniq.com.

From your history, you have an infection of a hair follicle known as furunculosis. It basically can occur after shaving and waxing or after any hair removal. So do not worry.

I suggest you with the following advice:

1) Warm towel compresses over the area to reduce the pain.

2) Sitting in warm water (in a tub) also helps.

3) Wash the area with only water. Do not use any soaps or shampoos.

4) After washing, pat dry thoroughly.

5) Use loose cotton underwear and change frequently.

6) In the future, avoid the use of hair removal creams or shaving for few weeks. Instead, clipping the hair is better using scissors sterilized in hot water for 15 minutes.

7) Petroleum jelly at the region of boils after washing and patting dry.

I suggest antibiotic cream like Triple antibiotic cream (Neomycin, Bacitracin and Polymyxin-B) for local application if the above home treatments are not working, and for the discharge, I suggest one single dose of antifungal.

I hope this was useful.

|