Q. I get recurrent painful boils on abdomen that leaves scars. Why?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I keep getting boils on my abdomen once every two to three weeks. They are painful and leave behind scars. I have been having this condition for the past two years. Earlier it was severe with new boils occurring every few days and now it has become less frequent. My local dermatologist diagnosed me with recurrent furunculosis and treated me with topical and oral antibiotics courses repeatedly. But after the course was complete the boils returned back in a few days. I was also made to do a two-week R-Cin course.

Can this condition be something else? Also what is your recommendation for preventing recurrence? I am attaching a picture of the latest boil I got yesterday on my abdomen.

#

I have gone through your history and checked the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The lesions look classical for furunculosis. This is a common bacterial infection of the body hair. It is usually seen in people who sweat a lot, who prefer tight clothing, in diabetics, in people who visit the hospital frequently, and those who have a higher degree of body hair. There is nothing to worry as it is a common and easily treatable condition.

FBS (fasting blood sugar), PLBS (post prandial glucose test), nasal swab for staphylococcal bacterial culture.

Tablet Pan 40 mg (Pantoprazole) once daily before breakfast for one week. Capsule Doxt SL 100 mg (Doxycycline and Lactic acid bacillus) twice daily after food for one week, T Bact cream twice daily.

Take bath twice daily, prefer loose fitting clothes, avoid nose pricking habit if u have, wash hands regularly, avoid high glycemic index foods.

|