Q. Why does the top skin of penis not retracting and gets swollen with white discharge?

Dr. Parth Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Mar 21, 2019

The top skin of my penis is not coming back while masturbation or sex. It is not fully closed from the top but still, it is painful to push it back. If I try it forcefully then after some hours, it gets swollen from the top and some white hard substance comes from inside.

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

The white hard substance is actually the cause of the problem. It is called smegma and is formed of dead cells, bacteria and secretions. It collects under the foreskin if you do not keep good genital hygiene. You should daily retract your foreskin and wash it thoroughly. If you do not do it, the smegma will keep on collecting and cause inflammation and fibrosis of the foreskin and as a result, it becomes inflexible and inelastic. Now you should better get rid of the foreskin by surgically removing it. That will not only keep your penis clean but also reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and cancer of the penis.

Why is my foreskin so tight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My foreskin is tight and it is difficult and hurts to pull back my skin off the head when erect but goes back with less effort when not erect. How can I loosen my foreskin at home?  Read Full »

There is itching and accumulated dirt in my foreskin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having itching and some accumulated dirt in my penis foreskin. Please help.  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines for redness and pain on the glans.

Query: Hello doctor, I have redness and pain on the glans with whitish skin layer peeling off after a bath. I have been using Candid ointment for about 10 days without much relief. Should I change over to Candid B instead?  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now