Q. I am suffering from stomach pain due to gallbladder stones. What is the management?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had stomach pain after which my report was confirmed as gallbladder stones. What is the further procedure? Please let me know all the details, including the cost.

Do you have a question on Gall Bladder Stones or Gallbladder Surgery?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

MBBS., MRCP (UK)., MD (USA
Internal Medicine

The mere presence of gall stones does not mean that your abdominal pain was from the gall bladder. Many people have gall bladder stones which do not give them any symptoms. When the gall bladder gets inflamed or when a gall bladder stones block the bile duct, you get symptoms like pain, fever, and jaundice.

So, we need to ascertain whether the gall bladder stone was responsible for your abdominal pain or not. If it appears that the stone was the cause of your pain, then surgery can be considered. Laparoscopic surgery (keyhole operation) can be done, and many hospitals have doctors trained in this. The cost of the procedure varies from hospital to hospital. You should, however, first make sure that the abdominal pain was directly related to the gall bladder stone. Please upload the copy of the scan report, and also indicate in which part of the abdomen you had pain. The gall bladder is located under the right rib cage margin. I hope this helps.

Also Read Answers From: Gall Bladder Stones Gallbladder Surgery

What are the tiny black dots that came up after gallbladder surgery?
Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I had acute pancreatitis, which resulted in gallbladder surgery. Two weeks post operation; I have noticed tiny black dots appearing on my body. Now it has spread, some are raised and some are flat. Should I be concerned? What are they? I have attached the picture of my stom...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are a bit blurred and these are tiny small papules. Are they itchy? There are two to three possibilities. I will mention it one by one. First is drug reaction - As you had undergone surgery, you must be taki...  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for acute cholecystitis with cholelithiasis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having right abdominal pain since last five days. I am not getting relief after taking medicines also. My ultrasound says that the gallbladder is distended with a 6.8 mm calculus at the gallbladder neck. The gallbladder wall is 5.6 mm and appears thickened. The gallbladder is fi...  Read Full »
Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very tempting to treat gallbladder stones with dissolving drugs, but there are some very important limitations, which are as follows. Those drugs require up to two years of treatment. They do not prevent the formation of new ones. They cannot be used on all types of...  Read Full »

I have gallstone. Is it necessary to undergo cholecystectomy before planning pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old female ophthalmologist. I have a single gallstone which is 10 mm in size that was noticed incidentally in ultrasound. Is it necessary to undergo cholecystectomy before planning my second pregnancy? I had nonspecific episodes of abdominal pain in the last two years w...  Read Full »
Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This looks like a symptomatic uncomplicated gallbladder stones. Even though you say that the symptoms have not been typical of biliary colic but the repeated episodes of pain,...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now