Q. How to eliminate wrist ganglion without surgery?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2021

I have got a ganglion on my wrist, evidently occurred after an excessive wrist bending during an exercise. It happened about six months back and was examined by a physician. For the last two months, it has increased in size. Though it does not cause any pain, it is a bit bothersome. I have attached a picture for your better understanding What could be the best way to eliminate it without surgery? Kindly advise.

#

Thank you for sharing the picture with us (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• If it is causing pain on flexion and extension of the wrist, and cause limitation to activities then consider getting a surgical opinion for possible resection. I know you do not like surgery, but I feel you should be informed that it is permanent, minimally invasive and the best treatment choice.
  • It would be particularity important since you are a very active person and do regular exercise. In general, if it is left untreated it should resolve over six months, but it appears that it has increased in size further.
  • Now coming to nonsurgical treatment, sometimes the cyst can be aspirated by a small needle or steroid injections given in the cyst. This type of therapy is not permanent, and the cyst is most likely to come back.
  • If you want less intense treatment, I suggest you Diclofenac sodium 50 mg three times a day to be taken for four weeks with a full stomach and a glass of milk.
  • It will be working to reduce local inflammation and may reduce the size of the ganglion, but chances of it going back to the original size are highly likely as the capsule is intact.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|