Q. I have noticed a small lump on my neck. What could it be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

Recently, I have discovered a small lump on the right side of my neck. I am usually the person who starts worrying and gets paranoid whenever I discover something like this. I used to do it all the time with my glands. It feels like a gland, but it is slightly bigger and more tender than the other ones.

Also, if you look hard enough, you can slightly see the shape on my neck. I have been run down lately, have a dry throat and I am also very warm. So, I might be coming down with something. I needed to hear from you doctor. Please let me know what you think as I am typically worrying.

#

Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your neck or for the fact any picture from the internet highlighting that area?

It seems like it might be a swollen gland, which can happen even with common cold or flu. But, it is hard to confirm without a picture and exact location.

It makes me feel much more confident. I have attached the image. Please let me know what you think.

#

Thank you for sharing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This is not a location where a lymph node is found and so this is very less likely to be a swollen gland.
  • Can you please relax your neck and take a snap to assess if this is a ganglionic cyst or a small lipoma?
  • Also, share if it feels hard or soft, mobile or fixed to the underlying structures. I do not see it being red or inflamed, but does it hurt when you touch?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I do not think that you can really see it at all, but here is my relaxed neck. It feels rather fixed and it can move around a little. But, it is quite stabilized. It is harder and it feels a little tender as the previously swollen glands, but it is not sore anymore. I hope this helps.

#

• This seems like a ganglionic cyst. Ganglionic cyst usually pops up here and there in the same place and responds very well to anti-inflammatory agents like Ibuprofen 400 to 600 g twice daily or Acetaminophen 1000 mg twice daily.
  • Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine for a week with consent and then discontinue.
  • There is nothing to worry about and it may take time to completely disappear. If you still feel it after six weeks, then I would suggest seeing a local doctor for direct examination and further investigations if necessary.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|