Q. How can excessive gas and belching that feels like choking be controlled?

Dr. Noushif. M

I am having excessive gas and belching to the point where it feels like I am being choked. My stomach area also feels tight, but that might be from the bloating.

#

The symptoms look more from gastritis and acid reflux. You need to modify your dietary habits as well as add a few medicines. Practice small frequent feeds rather than heavy meals. Avoid excess water when you eat food. Avoid talking while having food as this leads to aerophagia. Practice being in erect position for at least an hour after food. Avoid foods which worsen acid reflux like coffee, excess spicy foods, etc. You can add tablets like Pantoprazole 40 mg in the morning with Domperidone 10 mg twice daily 30 minutes before food for two weeks. Follow these dietary measures consistently for a month and see the response. If symptoms are not improving, you need to consider an evaluation.

|