Q. Are heartburn, indigestion and frequent belching symptoms of GERD?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

Heartburn and indigestion all day. Frequent belching. Gurgling in throat/ esophagus. Throat or esophagus is making a funny noise off and on for years sporadically. Diagnosed with Gerd and Larapharyngeal reflex. Clean endoscopy in 2 years back but esophagus is slightly twisted. Had dilation during procedure. Other endoscopies were fine. Is this classic signs of GERD? Saw ENT recently for other issues, throat looked good. Just never had the gurgling as much. Taking Gas x and Protonix and tums here and there. Also deal with allergies and post nasal drip. No vomiting or fever. Just uncomfortable.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Most of the symptoms such as burping, gurgling within esophagus and funny noise all can be encompassed in to one diagnosis, that is, GERD. But thing which make concerned, are-you have 3 endoscopies and all showling normal without signs of ulceration which is not usually a case in GERD patient unless they are on maximal acid suppressant medications and symptom free at the time of undergoing endoscopy. So endoscopy result has to be correlated with the timings and weather use of acid suppressant medication before making a diagnosis.

Given some more interesting findings like dilated esophagus, and no ulceration at the time of endoscopy, with presence of persistent symptoms, suggest some other additional problem bystanding with GERD- such as motility disorder. Some time GERD is just a menifestation of motility disorders, because two disorders almost cause similar symptoms.

Secondly for GERD, one must have PH-imepdence monitoring to confirm the diagnosis. And in case you have already gone through this, then you come in category of refractory GERD not responding to usual acid suppressant medications.

For refractory GERD, the only single test that can confirm symptoms correlation index,-acid reflux causing the symptoms or non acid reflux causing symptoms, or no acid reflux at all; is PH-impedence test while person on acid suppressant medications. I can understand it must be very exhaustive and confusing for you to understand above things, but it can be very easy while investigation all these possibilities. I urge you to upload your previous reports and keep in touch with me, as I can suggest you how it is further be approached.

Refractory GERD

PH-impedence monitoring

Motility disorder
Functional heartburn

Refractory GERD

Suggest investigation

You can follow up with me to discuss about how to approach this

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What is the solution for severe heartburn, acidity, blood in stool and burning around anus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having severe heartburn and acidity issue. Today I got blood in stool and after I felt burn around the anus. Is anything serious? What should I do? Stool antigen (ICT) result is negative. My symptoms are heartburn after eating, bad breath from stomach, sometimes feeling bump on...  Read Full »

I have uneasiness below collarbone and feel spasm during breathing. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a-32-year old female. Recently, I am feeling a sort of uneasiness below the collarbone and quite in the middle of the upper portion of the chest. Initially, I thought it was a spasm but I have it for more than two weeks and feels little heavy deep inside. Kindly let me know the proble...  Read Full »

I have chest congestion, nose block and cough after a recent weather change. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chest congestion and nose block leading to the formation of a thick yellow mucus when I wake up in the morning. This started after a recent weather change in my city and I have this problem for a week now. I have not taken any medication yet. I do not have any other health is...  Read Full »