Q. I got inflammation on the left side of the stomach after taking Esomeprazole. Kindly help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2021

I had an endoscopy last year and I was diagnosed with inflammation in the stomach. I was taking Esomeprazole 40 mg till the beginning of this month. My condition got worse and I got inflammation on the left side of the stomach below my breast. I got nausea and my left jaw had a throbbing pain. I also had a headache on the left side. I am taking Ibruprofen for the pain. I also have a bit of mucus in my stool. Please help.

#

I am not able to see the description of the endoscopy report. I can see only the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which show an ulcer. Some degree of erythema is present and it does not suggest a diagnosis. Please mention whether you have done a biopsy and a particular test for H.pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection. It is a bacteria that infects the stomach. Please mention the duration of taking Ibuprofen, its dosage for a day, and when it is taken. There are two issues that I was able to identify on seeing your image.

The first issue is gastritis. Painkillers like Ibuprofen cause gastritis and ulcers. This causes ulcerations in the colon and it leads to blood in stools and mucus only. H.pylori also causes it and it has to ruled out. The second issue is the use of Ibuprofen. The headache can occur due to excessive and chronic use of NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen. I need some information and it helps to establish the cause of your symptoms and helps in treating the condition.

|