Q. Omeprazole taken for stress-related gastritis helped a lot. Should I continue it?

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have been suffering from gastritis probably related to a stress condition, compounded by poor diet. This diagnosis has made me feel much better, and there are no symptoms today. Is it normal for me to come off the Omeprazole I took, after one single dose, with the possibility of going back on it if the symptoms return? In other words, can I just suddenly stop after one dose?

#

You mentioned you have stress-related gastritis for which you were taking Omeprazole daily, and now you want to stop. So, gastritis is a broad term, which means inflammation of the mucosa of the stomach. It has many causes like H.pylori infection, stress, and many other causes. It is a broad diagnosis. Treatment depends upon the causative factors.

Diagnosis is made upon clinical, endoscopic findings, and histological findings. Have you undergone an endoscopic examination before? Please let me know. And what were your complaints?

Accordingly, if it is only erythematous mucosa with no erosions, ulcerations, or any other specific diagnosis, then you can take Omeprazole when required. But if you have not undergone endoscopic examination, I wish to know what were your symptoms and how long you have been taking Omeprazole.

Please revert with answers.

I have not had an endoscopy. My symptoms were mild discomfort and nausea. I only took one capsule of Omeprazole, but my symptoms seem better, so thought I would stop, with the possibility of starting again if the symptoms worsen again. Diagnosis has been made according to the symptoms.

#

So, you have had nausea and mild abdominal discomfort, which was relieved by Omeprazole. My advise to you is that you must seek a GI physician and get an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy done and watch for the development of any of the alarm features like black stools, severe pain in the abdomen, recurrent vomiting, blood in vomit or involuntary weight loss.

Further, you must reduce stress by doing yoga and taking proper sleep. Try to avoid fatty, spicy foods and caffeinated drinks. Try to reduce weight if you are overweight. You can stop Omeprazole and take it as and when required.

|