Q. My 11-month-old daughter is having vomiting and frequent diarrhea. Please help.

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

My 11-month-old daughter has been sick for about a week. She was throwing up all day and vomiting and there was blood mixed with it at one pint. We were giving medicine to stop the vomiting. Her diarrhea has continued since Sunday night. It is progressed to the point that she is passing stools almost instantly after drinking anything. The diarrhea smells like a sour milk. Is this a reason for concern?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

#

Before I answer your query I would like to ask you some questions.

Until when did your daughter have exclusively breast milk? When did you start other food along with breast milk? Did she have similar episodes in the past? Did she receive all her vaccines regularly? Kindly provide me with the answers so that I can tell you further on the diagnosis and the reasons behind it.

As of now, it seems like a case of acute gastroenteritis which is quite common in this age group. So do not worry much at this point. The treatment plan consists of some considerations.

Generally, we prefer to give ORS (oral rehydrating solution) to the baby at regular intervals and as much as the child wants to drink. Continue breastfeeding normally. Add Zinc to the baby as per the dosage schedule. Antibiotics are not mandatory, it depends upon the condition of the baby after a thorough checkup.

I would suggest you to continue with ORS solution and breastfeeding and you can take her to your pediatrician for further consultation.

| 

I changed my baby’s formula milk, and it led to vomiting, and diarrhoea. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I changed my four weeks old baby’s formula milk, and it caused him to vomit after feeds and he had diarrhea. Should I change it to thick formula milk because he has reflux? Is this a normal side effect?  Read Full »

Nutritional Management of Diarrhea in Children

Article Overview: Children are very susceptible to various kinds of infections and diseases. Hence, it is very essential to take care of their health as they fall sick quite often. One of the reason diarrhea is common is probably the lack of hygienic practices followed in the kitchen. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Following are some of the nutritional remedies for kids with diarrhea. Plenty of Fluids If your child is suffering from diarrhea, there is a lot of water loss occurring in your child’s body leading to dehydration. Also, there is a loss of various electrolytes from the body, for example, sodi...  Read Article

How to treat sore abdomen which is likely to be gastroenteritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. My abdomen is sore to touch for about two months. It is sore to the touch at the top of my abdomen below my sternum, and on the far left about an inch up from where my belly button would be. I went to a minor emergency about a week in, and I was told I most li...  Read Full »