Q. My 11-month-old daughter is having vomiting and frequent diarrhea. Please help.

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

My 11-month-old daughter has been sick for about a week. She was throwing up all day and vomiting and there was blood mixed with it at one pint. We were giving medicine to stop the vomiting. Her diarrhea has continued since Sunday night. It is progressed to the point that she is passing stools almost instantly after drinking anything. The diarrhea smells like a sour milk. Is this a reason for concern?

#

Before I answer your query I would like to ask you some questions.

Until when did your daughter have exclusively breast milk? When did you start other food along with breast milk? Did she have similar episodes in the past? Did she receive all her vaccines regularly? Kindly provide me with the answers so that I can tell you further on the diagnosis and the reasons behind it.

As of now, it seems like a case of acute gastroenteritis which is quite common in this age group. So do not worry much at this point. The treatment plan consists of some considerations.

Generally, we prefer to give ORS (oral rehydrating solution) to the baby at regular intervals and as much as the child wants to drink. Continue breastfeeding normally. Add Zinc to the baby as per the dosage schedule. Antibiotics are not mandatory, it depends upon the condition of the baby after a thorough checkup.

I would suggest you to continue with ORS solution and breastfeeding and you can take her to your pediatrician for further consultation.

|