Q. Does changing the formula milk cause vomiting and diarrhea in a 4 weeks old baby?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 11, 2019

I changed my four weeks old baby’s formula milk, and it caused him to vomit after feeds and he had diarrhea. Should I change it to thick formula milk because he has reflux? Is this a normal side effect?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

From the reflux point of view, the first thing that is to be done is to keep the baby at an angle of 35 degrees to the ground level after feeding. This will reduce the chances of reflux more than any medication. The next thing to be done before feed thickening is to start the child on Perinorm (Metoclopramide) and Rantac (Ranitidine). If all these do not work, food thickening is to be done. Also, I would recommend you to get a reflux study of the child done for a better knowledge of what grade of reflux the child is suffering from.

My baby has loose motions and frequently vomits after a feed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-month-old baby is sick. He is not taking breastmilk but drinks a little water by spoon. He has loose motions. I have tried few medicines but he has not stopped vomiting frequently after feeding. I have tried giving antibiotics twice but it increased the loose motion and it does n...  Read Full »

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full »

My 2-day-old baby is not urinating. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 days old. She is not urinating and vomiting the milk she drinks. The doctors say that the baby had some amniotic fluid intake during labor. During labor, my wife tried for six hours for a normal delivery. But the head was stuck. So, she opted for a cesarean. Now, the mo...  Read Full »