Q. I have been burping with stomach pain and discomfort. What can be the reason?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Since the past four years, I am having a lot of stomach problems. It all started with loose motions at that time, and I used to take Ciplox-OZ or Norflox-OZ over-the-counter, and I used to feel better for two to three months.

After a year, I started having acid reflux and burning sensation in my stomach. So, the doctor prescribed Rabeprazole D, which helped solve. But after two to three years I started burping a lot (nearly 10-20 burps after meals), with stomach discomfort and sometimes prickling pain.

My stomach used to bloat immediately after meals, so the doctor gave me Zenflox-OZ, Unienzyme, Becelac-PB, Meftal-Spas, and Aristozyme. All these medicines helped treat my symptoms, but it recurred as soon as I stopped taking Zenflox-OZ.

I am under Petril-MD 0.5 mg for anxiety and pure obsessional OCD. Whenever I get bloating and burping, anxiety also follows. My ultrasound reports were also normal apart from fatty liver. I am afraid to undergo endoscopy because of panic attack problem. Please help me.

#

After going through your concerns carefully, I feel your symptoms may be due to any one of the following.

1. GERD (acid reflux).
  2. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
  3. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

I suggest you tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg and Zenflox-OZ (combination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) for 14 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

The fact that your symptoms disappear after taking Zenflox-OZ, it means that your symptoms are due to large or small bowel infections. I would suggest you do hydrogen breath test to rule out or confirm small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you for the reply. I will do the hydrogen test as suggested by you. Is it dangerous to take Ofloxacin for a long term? I feel dizzy when I take it, although it is good for my stomach.

Can I take VSL 3? Is it fine to take Unienzyme for bloated stomach for a long term? And also is calf muscle cramp associated with stomach problem?

#

Ofloxacin should be used for only 14 days and no more, as prolonged use of antibiotics is dangerous for liver, kidneys, and gut.

Unienzyme helps to digest the food, and that is how it reduces bloating.

|