Q. I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Jul 17, 2018

Hello Doctor,

• I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food.
  • Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD.
  • But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks it has been very bad for me.
  • I have been facing some symptoms like pain after eating food, sometimes nausea but no vomiting, heartburn, indigestion, fatigue, sleepless nights and rarely breathing difficulty.
  • I am not able to concentrate on regular activities.
  • Doctor also said that I am suffering from post viral infection since I had fever 2 weeks before.
  • I take tablet Pantocid daily night before food.

Recent Blood Test Result:

• WBC - 5300
  • Lympocytes - 46
  • Eosinophils - 02
  • Monocytes - 01
  • Basophils - 00
  • Haemoglobin - 11.6g/dL
  • Packed Cell Volume - 35.4
  • E.S.R - 22

Urine Test:

• pH - 6.5
  • Pus cells/hpf - 1-2
  • RBCs/hpf - 2-4

Kindly provide some solution since I am completely depressed.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

At the age of 24 year it is unlikely that you have ulcer in the stomach. It could be GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) that is causing all these symptoms, but after long time it may cause ulcer.

If you are not responding to PPIs (Proton-Pump Inhibitors) then it could be H.Pylori infection that is causing the problem.

The investigations you have mentioned are not having much abnormalities except mild anaemia. The management of GERD symptoms include medicines as well as dietary modifications and exercise with position maneuvers.

Usually we do not do investigations, but if it is not responding to medicines then it is needed.

Advice:

• Tablet Omeprazole 20mg twice a day half an hour before food intake.
  • Syrup Gelusil 5ml along with food (you can take every time), continue it till you have pain and heartburn.
  • Tablet Amoxicillin 1000mg twice a day for 15 days.
  • Tablet Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day for 15 days.
  • Avoid oily and spicy meal, coffee and tea.
  • Do exercise daily (walking or jogging).
  • Take small and frequent meals.
  • Avoid liqiuds, prefer solid and semisolid food especially before sleep.
  • Sleep in left lateral position with elevation of head end.

You have anaemia, so please take iron and folic acid (100mg iron combination) once daily.

These disorders have great relation to behaviour and mood changes, so please alleviate any tension.

Get Thyroid Function Test (TFT) and fasting glucose level done.

Do not quit your job instead work with more energy and enthusiasm.

I have provided the treatment plan with medicines and other measures for 15 days. Revert back to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have uneasiness below collarbone and feel spasm during breathing. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a-32-year old female. Recently, I am feeling a sort of uneasiness below the collarbone and quite in the middle of the upper portion of the chest. Initially, I thought it was a spasm but I have it for more than two weeks and feels little heavy deep inside. Kindly let me know the proble...  Read Full »

How can I treat the pain a little left under my Adam's apple?

Query: Hello doctor, There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and ...  Read Full »