Q. I have gastroparesis and suffering from stomach pain and extreme gas. What to do?

Dr. Sunil Sekhri
Published on Nov 28, 2019

I have gastroparesis, and everyday I have stomach pain, and extreme gas. I am tried working with my gastroenterologist but there are no results and no interest by them. I have tried Linzess, and Gabapetin but no result. I need help. It is destroying my quality of life. I can not go anywhere because it is so embarrassing.

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Before I can give my opinion I need to know a few facts. Since how long you have had diabetes and what medications are you taking? Do you have constipation, nausea, and vomiting? What is the site of stomach pain and what is the severity? I would also like to see the clinical notes of your gastroenterologist.

| 

I have been diabetic for nine years, with no nausea, constipation or vomiting. I should say that the pain is between mid to lower stomach. It is pretty painful. My biggest issue is extreme gas. I take Humalog (insulin), Lantus, and Gabapentin. Gabapentin was just started at 100 mg three times a day.

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I would recommend Gabapentin 300 mg plus Methylcobalamin 50 one tablet three times a day. I suggest taking Metoclopramide one tablet before lunch and one before dinner for 10 days. I would also advise you to stop milk products for a few days. Your symptoms are due to diabetic complications, and it takes a long time to see the effect of medications. You can share my opinion with your doctor and take medications with consent. You can revert back after 15 days and let me know the improvement.

| 

I am thinking about my stomach disease all the day. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from stomach disease and I did not get it diagnosed for almost for 10 years. Sometime, my doctors say it as GERD and sometimes as irritable bowel syndrome. Now, they said that my stomach is not transferring food to my colon normally and that means my stomach muscle i...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for continuous mucus and gas formation with a bad smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a continuous mucus and gas formation with the bad smell like rotten fish. I also have hemorrhoid.  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Gabapentin for back stiffness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried male, and I have a back stiffness problem for more than three years. Everyone gives the says that my posture is not proper while walking. Two years back when I consulted a doctor, he suspected ankylosing spondylitis, but HLA-B27 was negative. After seeing...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now