Common "Generalized Anxiety Disorder" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a mental illness, which causes a person to worry about daily life events with no apparent reasons. People with GAD feel anxious most of the time and are overly concerned about health, family, money, and work. Such people cannot control the feeling of anxiety, even after realizing that their reaction is much more intense than the situation warrants.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My daughter suffering from GAD become resistant to Celexa. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12-year-old girl has been on Celexa from the age of seven years for GAD. She has been on 20 mg for the past three years. It has worked well for anxiety and mood regulation. She has been irritable and angry with some depression for the past six months. Would you think we should look at...  Read Full »

Dr. K. V. Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Generalized anxiety disorder is a simple anxiety disorder that is very easy to treat with medicines if it is combined with psychotherapy and progressive counseling. Medicines alone cannot cure it. Celexa (Citalopram) used to help her with anxiety and mood swings is...  Read Full »

I am a 23-year-old male with generalized anxiety disorder symptoms. Please suggest your opinion based on my symptoms.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23-year-old male weighing 145 lbs and height five feet 11 inches. I was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and am taking 20 mg of Escitalopram. My symptoms are mentioned below, Eight months ago- I woke up one morning with constant pressure behind my eyes a...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. You mentioned above the diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder and taking escitalopram 20 mg. I need further details. Can there be some other diagnosis? Diagnosis of anxiety is only by history and clinical judgment; no diagnostic test i...  Read Full »

SSRI is not helping with my bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bipolar disorder, panic attacks, social and generalized anxiety disorder. I have one to three panic attacks per day, constant anxiety, and fear of leaving the house. No motivation to work, no energy, apathetic, without mood. Right now I am in a depressive episode. I previousl...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If your anxiety is not responsive to SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), then you should consider trying TCA (tricyclic antidepressants) class of antidepressants. They will help with your anxiety and panic attacks. Apart from Tranxene and Benzodiazepin...  Read Full »

I am suffering from anxiety and fear. Please advise.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am 32 years old and I weigh 80kg. I am married and I am working with a telecom company. I got married six months back and my problem is anxiety and fear. I am not able to drive because of fear. Headache, blurred vision, shortness of breath are my problems. Among them, fear is the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From the available description it appears to be Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) which is a kind of anxiety disorder that needs long term treatment. I would like to tell you that GAD is a kind of relapsing and remitting disorder and needs both medications as well as ...  Read Full »

I have generalized anxiety disorder. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 23 years old. I have been suffering from a generalized anxiety disorder since childhood. One of the reasons for it is a physical defect that makes me self-conscious. I got to know very early that something is wrong with me. I have consulted many psychiatrists and tried many medicin...  Read Full »

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui

Answer: Hello, Welcome to A lot of individuals have a generalized anxiety disorder, and this often causes significant comorbidity and depression. What kind of physical defect do you have? Regarding masturbation, it is a safe and healthy habit. It does not affect physical, mental, or reproductiv...  Read Full »

I am dependent on medication for GAD. Please help.

Query: Hello Doctor, I have started treatment of GAD before 2.5 months as follows: (60 mg Paxil daily, 150 mg Wellbutrin one time daily and 15 mg Buspar twice a day) in addition to CTB. The results were very good and the anxiety and accompanying depression went away. Now I cannot do anything without medic...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to At first I would like to tell you briefly about Generalized Anxiety Disorder or GAD that you are already well aware of. This is a chronic, relapsing and debilitating common psychiatric disorder characterized by anxiety and worry about several events and activities for ...  Read Full »

I suffer from anxiety. What medication can help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male who was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety, eight years back. Initially, I was prescribed Paxil 20 mg, which helped treat my anxiety and depression but I started having side effects of weight gain, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction. When I st...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunadh M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Paroxetine acts on multiple receptors, and it is known for its withdrawal effects of weight gain due to its antihistaminic and anticholinergic action. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) can cause significant sexual dysfunction. Usually, Bupropion along with SS...  Read Full »

Can taking Valium along with Deanxit help to manage anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have lots of anxiety issues. I have taken Deanxit in the past. Then I stopped it for a year. I started taking it back again six months ago. I have a long flight to take soon. I have a fear of flying. Can I take one pill of Valium 5 mg while taking the Deanxit? So, that I can sleep on th...  Read Full »

Dr. Awadhesh P. Singh Solanki

Answer: Hi, Welcome to According to your history, it seems that you are having generalized anxiety. Yes, you can take Valium (Diazepam) for symptomatic relief. It will help you to get proper sleep in long duration. Deanxit (Melitracen with Flupenthixol) is a good tablet to deal with anxiety sy...  Read Full »

What to do for anxiety disorder that relapsed due to beer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety and panic since five years. My GP had given Nexito forte and Veniz XR 37.5. And, I felt better and asked him to reduce the dosage two years ago. He stopped both and gave Nextio plus from then till date. I felt better. I did not smoke or drink while on treatment. 10 days ...  Read Full »

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It seems to be an anxiety disorder. You need to avoid the triggering factors that cause the relapse. Be it alcohol or something like smoking, family issues or financial problems. It is better to be on Nexito forte (Escitalopram and Clonazepam) during the episode o...  Read Full »

What are the ways to treat my anxiety besides medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I am eight months pregnant now and I am suffering from anxiety. I consulted a doctor and he gave me Etizola 0.5 g medicine and this helps to make me feel normal. But, now I feel I am emotionally mute. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. K. V. Anand

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Anxiety disorders come under the category of mental disorders characterized by feelings of anxiety and fear, where anxiety is a worry about future events and fear is a reaction to current events. These feelings may cause physical symptoms such as a racing heart and sha...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.