Q. My problem is anxiety and fear. I have sexual problems as well. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Dear Doctor,

I am 32 years old and I weigh 80kg. I am married and I am working with a telecom company. I got married six months back and my problem is anxiety and fear. I am not able to drive because of fear.

Headache, blurred vision, shortness of breath are my problems. Among them, fear is the main problem and I am not able to face situations and people with confidence.

This started 5 years back. I consulted a psychiatrist and he gave Nexito Forte and Mirtazapine tablets. But my problem remains the same. I can manage without medications now, but sometimes uncontrollable. I have sexual problems as well. I experience loss of erection within minutes.

Please help.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

From the available description it appears to be Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) which is a kind of anxiety disorder that needs long term treatment.

I would like to tell you that GAD is a kind of relapsing and remitting disorder and needs both medications as well as counselling.

Before moving for counselling try the following methods of anxiety and fear management.

I am noting down few of the strategies which are used to reduce stress and anxiety.

I hope it will be very useful for you to reduce your symptoms.

Diet - Ensure intake of adequate quantity of fibre. Two servings of vegetable salad and two servings of fruits (preferably with one citrus fruit). Proper diet does miracles and rejuvenates. Orange is a good source of antioxidants. Avoid junk food and fast food especially pizza, burgers and excessive sweets.

Ensure adequate water intake - Follow "rule of 1" which I usually advise. 1 glass of water 1 hour before and 1 glass of water 1 hour after every meals will ensure adequate consumption of water. Recommended intake of water is 2 to 3 litres a day.

Early morning exercise - Brisk walk for 30 minutes at a stretch preferably in garden will be very helpful.

Avoid tea/coffee/nicotine and alcoholic beverages - If at all you want to drink something, drink fresh lime water. It is very much refreshing.

Start your day with a glass of lemon water with 2 teaspoons of honey added to it. Have a good breakfast.

Do not work stressfully - We all have the thought to excel in our respective fields and do not spend adequate time with our own self. So, try to understand your own needs and spend time for yourself and your family.

When the work pressure is high, call it a day, take a short leave and hit out to some picnic spot which you always wanted to go.

While working take frequent regular breaks - Taking regular breaks will not waste the time, but will definitely increase the productivity, concentration and reasoning.

• Avoid late night socialization.
  • Avoid staring at the computer screen or TV for a long time.
  • Steam inhalation before going to sleep will be very refreshing.
  • Take multivitamin and calcium supplements.

Meditation and yoga will help you a lot.

Other than this, take the medications regularly. The medicines you are having take lots of time before they reach their maximum potential. In many cases it may take upto 12 weeks.Regarding sexual problems, they may be related to both anxiety or current medication.

Revert back after a month to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|