Q. Experiencing relapse of severe anxiety since past 3 months. I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby.

Dr. Ashish Khandelwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am 28 years of age and 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have had two miscarriages in the past. I am experiencing severe anxiety from the past three months. I developed this problem four years back, and I was put on a few medications which are in the attachment. I took them for around two months and felt better. But now it has returned, and I am feeling completely helpless. I stay in a remote place with my husband.

I am scared of everything. I feel detached from the environment. I am restless with intrusive thoughts. Now I am not attached to my baby too. I do not have any future plans. I love my husband, but I am scared to live with him. I am not on any medication as I am pregnant. I will sit on the internet to find some solution but reading horror stories about anxiety making me crazy. Please help me

#

We understand your problem. The symptoms that you have told fit into generalized anxiety disorder with depressive symptoms. You had treatment in the past, and you were better with that. This time because of your pregnancy, things are not that straightforward.

Still in my opinion, after evaluating risk and benefit, you should have both medications and psychotherapy. Initially, you can try tablet Clonazepam (Clonotril 0.25 mg twice daily). It is low dose only and safer after 3 months of pregnancy. Also, you should have your thyroid function and CBC test done. You can take an appointment for sessions, in which we can have detailed evaluation and management. Just remember you became better last time and this time also you will be better soon.

|