Q. Is my son unable to stand properly because of his genetic mutation?

Dr. M. Pradeep Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr.Meera Premanand

My son is seven years old and has a genetic mutation. He is unable to stand properly, but he usually walks fine. I have sent you the reports. I request your guidance in his treatment.

#

I went through the history and the report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The diagnosis of the child is Duchenne muscular dystrophy. It is a progressively weakening muscle abnormality.

Genetic abnormality.

Echo (echocardiogram).

Tablet Deflazacort (Deflazacort oral suspension) 6 mg two tablets morning, and gentle physiotherapy.

-

follow-up after 3 months.

Is it curable? Could you please elaborate on treatment and management? Please advise.

#

It is a progressive disorder. You can postpone weakness with steroids and gentle physiotherapy. There are no approved medications for this. All in research level. We must preserve the function of muscles as much as possible. I hope it is clear.

|