Q. What is the possibility of breast cancer in BRCA1 positive?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

I am 30 years old. I have BRCA1 genetic mutation that is still undergoing more research as they are not sure of the exact risk yet. My mom had breast cancer at the age of 56 and her cousin had the same at the age of 46. They were both positive to hormonal therapy. Another cousin had ovarian cancer at the age of 49. They are all cancer-free now.

I have a fibrocystic breast and one fibroadenoma confirmed with a biopsy three years ago. I had an ultrasound scan three months ago and found more cysts and nothing major to worry about. I had another ultrasound a week ago as I felt a new little lump. That lump turned out to be another cyst, but the doctor found another lump she had not seen three months before. It has regular borders and it is moveable but it has some vascularities. She says it cannot be a cyst and could be a fibroadenoma but it has to be confirmed by a biopsy which I will have next week.

I know that sometimes triple-negative breast cancer lumps can be mistaken for fibroadenoma but how likely is that chance? I am feeling quite anxious and worried. With a fibrocystic breast is it possible to have a fibroadenoma appear this fast? Or is it possible that an ultrasound would have missed it last time?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Since you have BRCA1 (breast cancer type 1) positive with a strong family history of breast cancer, there is always a risk of developing cancer. You need to have a regular followup. Ultrasound sometime may miss early changes. Since you have a high tendency of developing cancer you can undergo a complete mastectomy. It is a tough decision for you, but it is worth.

| 

I am considering that now. With the characteristics of the lump I have sent you, could it be benign or does it seem malignant?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

It seems benign, but you should be alert and should not delay any treatment or routine followup with your doctor. I am always there for your help.

| 

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Is microsurgery possible for lobulated, fluid-filled cystic sol in both ovaries?

Query: Hello doctor, My present condition is: Weight 75 kg. Hemoglobin 6.9 gm%. Right ovary: 12.7 X 12.3 X 10.7 vol 887 cc large lobulated cystic sol noted in the right adnexal region. Left ovary 4.5 X 6.3 X 6.2 cm vol-159 cc echogenic fluid-filled cystic sol noted in the left adnexal region. Current...  Read Full »

A 20 mm follicle found on day 5 of menses. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female weighing 65 kg and my height is 5'6". A 20 mm follicle found on day five of menstruation, what does it mean? I had cramp since day four till day six. Last month 5.7 mm hemorrhagic cyst was found on left ovary during day three but this month it got disappeared and now 20 mm ...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now