Q. What is the treatment for my genital psoriasis?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I have had genital psoriasis for the past month, and my self-confidence is very low because of its appearance and hyperpigmentation. I do not know what to do. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. Did you take any confirmation tests of psoriasis, like clinical examination or biopsy of the lesion? It is important to make a confirmed diagnosis before saying it is psoriasis. For example, is this your first episode? A lesion like this could be due to other causes like fungal infection (tinea cruris) or allergic contact dermatitis. So we have to be sure of the diagnosis before starting the treatment. Clinically it appears as a fungal infection, but you must get a KOH (potassium hydroxide) smear done to confirm it. For psoriasis, you need to get a dermoscopy (and further tests) to determine if it is psoriasis.

|