Q. How harmful is poison oak when contacted?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N
Published on Oct 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I disk golf in an area where a decent amount of poison oak is present. I would like to know how fast urushiol binds to skin, and once it does is there any possibility to spread?

I use an electronic cigarette which requires me to handle cotton that I feed into the atomizer. My doubt is if urushiol vaporizes automatically, what will be the harm?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

I have read your query. Poison oak causes allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) and is the most common cause of ACD than all the other causes combined.

The allergen which cause ACD is usually present within the sap named urushiol and it will be mainly present in the leaves and the inner stems of the plant.

After the contact with any part of the plant it usually takes 12 - 48 hours for the symptoms to occur. But the resin will bond immediately to the skin on contact. So, you should remove it with a mild soap wash immediately.

If within 10 - 15 minutes of contact washing is done, 50% can be removed. But, if it is beyond one hour, washing does not help much.

You can use Bentonite barrier creams which can prevent bonding of urushiol to your exposed parts. Urushiol once bound to the skin does not vaporize and does not spread to other parts of the body. As it is a local reaction, the intensity of it depends on the amount of resin contacted.

For further information consult a an allergy specialist online. ---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

| 

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

Why do I have brown spots on fingertips?

Query: Hello doctor, I have dark spots on my fingers that I have noticed this month only. It seems to be dry skin and this area on my fingers look bruised, as if they were left in the cold and looks almost purplish. In the past I did have tiny bumps that were itchy on the sides of my fingers but, they ar...  Read Full »

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now