Q. I have Genu Valgum. I am developing pain in my left knee.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 17, 2018

I am 26 years old. I have Genu valgum. I am developing pain in my left knee, and the pain has also started in my ankle and shin. How do I get rid of this pain?

#

Genu valgum is commonly called the knock-knees. It is the inability to touch both the feet together due to inward angulation of the knee. It is a physiological condition mostly, but less commonly pathological. The management will depend upon:

1. The extent of valgus (an abnormality in which an anatomical part is turned away from the body's midline).
  2. The nature or cause of this problem.
  3. The rate of progression, if dynamic such as from growth plate injury. Unlikely in your case because of your age.

Perhaps if you post your standing x-rays of both legs called long leg views or hip knee ankle views, it will be helpful for me to advise you further.

|