Q. I have Genu Valgum. I am developing pain in my left knee.

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am 26 years old. I have Genu valgum. I am developing pain in my left knee, and the pain has also started in my ankle and shin. How do I get rid of this pain?

Do you have a question on Genu Valgum or Knee Pain?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Atul Prakash

MBBS., MS ORTH., DNB ORTH., MNAMS., FRCS
Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health

Genu valgum is commonly called the knock-knees. It is the inability to touch both the feet together due to inward angulation of the knee. It is a physiological condition mostly, but less commonly pathological. The management will depend upon:

1. The extent of valgus (an abnormality in which an anatomical part is turned away from the body's midline).
  2. The nature or cause of this problem.
  3. The rate of progression, if dynamic such as from growth plate injury. Unlikely in your case because of your age.

Perhaps if you post your standing x-rays of both legs called long leg views or hip knee ankle views, it will be helpful for me to advise you further.

Also Read Answers From: Genu Valgum Knee Pain Knock-knees Valgus

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis
Article Overview: Osteoarthritis is most common in elderly people. It is the commonest of all the conditions that affect the joints in particular. Here, I have discussed about OA in detail.  Read Article »
Dr. Mahavir Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized t ...  Read Article »

How can the running speed be increased?
Query: Hi doctor,My 10-year-old son plays excellent badminton, but his weak point is his running speed. He is slow in running. I have attached three photos and one video of his legs. Can you see something wrong with them? How can he increase his running speed? By physiotherapy, or some exercises?  Read Full »
Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your son has a slightly knocked knee gait. By that I mean his knees strike each other if he were to stand with his heels coming together. This is usually not a problem unless the child has got a marked deformity or cannot run fast, or tends to fall knocking his ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now