Q. What is the future problem of having loose ligamental joints?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

I am 23 years old, and my height is 5'11". Please look at my legs. I can walk, run and sit. I have loose ligamental joints (collateral ligaments) from childhood, and I have small patella. What is the problem of having loose ligamental joints in future? Is there any problem with small patella? I cannot stand for more than 30 minutes. I feel uneasy to stand, and around knee cap sometimes I get burning sensation for a short duration. Is there any surgery to correct loose ligament joints?

#

I have gone through your history and the images provided here (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• From images, it appears that you have genu valgum deformity in your left knee. There is no supportive evidence or examination notes stating about small patella or laxity of the collateral ligaments.
  • Small patella leads to patellar maltracking syndrome leading to early wear out of the cartilage leading to patellofemoral pain and patellofemoral pain arthritis.
  • Collateral ligament laxity is a component of universal laxity of all the ligamentous structure in the body isolated involvement of the ligament is seen in post-traumatic cases, and these cases present with the instability of the knee joint. You have not mentioned any history supportive of this.
  • In the case of traumatic collateral ligament injury, it can be surgically repaired whereas generalised ligament laxity is not repaired.
  • Ligament laxity any means will lead to symptoms ranging from joint instability to repeated dislocation with minor force. These conditions predispose the joint to early osteoarthritic changes.
  • My recommendation for you is to get physically evaluated and get a diagnosis first and then look for its treatment.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|