Q. Can osteoarthritis cause pain in knee?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Dec 02, 2018

I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six months, during jogging or walking I was feeling a cracking sound but I thought it was normal. Recently, my weight started increasing so again I started jogging and gym workouts. In the gym, I was doing leg workouts like squats, leg extension, leg press, and deadlift. Knee pain started and I realized I was doing squats and deadlift in the wrong form. Later, I corrected and started doing workouts in proper form and pain is slightly reduced. I have consulted a doctor regarding this and he gave me some medicine and said it as early osteoarthritis. Kindly advise me whether I can continue my workouts, is this issue curable, how to manage this. Medicines which I am taking now is Fixit 300 (Nizatidine 300 mg), Loflam (Aceclofenac 100 mg), Joint free triple action (Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM).

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Your X-rays are normal for age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What you describe is patellofemoral compression syndrome and weight gain, wrong exercises, jogging on an incline, poor shoe wear, open chain exercise like squats, knee rolls have a role to play. Physiotherapy to do like closed chain exercises, leg presses with knee not bending more than 30 degrees, patellar taping, core strengthening exercises, gluteal clam shells, hamstring stretches, VMO (vastus medialis) exercise, etc. Take NSAID like Aceclofenac but I see no role of Glucosamine combination tablets. The process of relief takes a long time so do not get frustrated and believe me this is a curable condition but effort has to be yours.

My arthritic knee pain has worsened and there is edema of feet as well. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am regularly taking 6 oz of warm water with half a slice of a medium-sized lemon and one medium spoon of honey right in the morning for the last 15 days. Whatever be the benefits, I find my arthritic knee pains have slightly increased along with edema of both feet and ankles and pa...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have mentioned that you are suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (AS) with osteoarthritis. But, you have not mentioned which DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drug) you are taking. Anyways, I would suggest the following. NSAIDS (non-...  Read Full

How can knee pain be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, There is dull knee pain while standing and walking for one month. What can be the cause of this?  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Knee pain is a common complaint that affects people of all ages. Knee pain may be the result of an injury or some other medical conditions including arthritis, patellar tendinitis, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury, knee bursitis, torn meniscus, gout, and infe...  Read Full

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Ask a Fitness Expert Now