Q. Can osteoarthritis cause pain in knee?

Answered by Dr. Atul Prakash and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Knee Pain or Osteoarthritis Of Knee? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six months, during jogging or walking I was feeling a cracking sound but I thought it was normal. Recently, my weight started increasing so again I started jogging and gym workouts. In the gym, I was doing leg workouts like squats, leg extension, leg press, and deadlift. Knee pain started and I realized I was doing squats and deadlift in the wrong form. Later, I corrected and started doing workouts in proper form and pain is slightly reduced. I have consulted a doctor regarding this and he gave me some medicine and said it as early osteoarthritis. Kindly advise me whether I can continue my workouts, is this issue curable, how to manage this. Medicines which I am taking now is Fixit 300 (Nizatidine 300 mg), Loflam (Aceclofenac 100 mg), Joint free triple action (Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM).