Q. I have a painful lump in my breast. Are my reports suggestive of a breast cancer?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a lump on my breast that is painful. It is on the right breast, under the underarms. I was given vitamin E medicine, and I was told to get ultrasound and FNAC. I have attached both my reports. The reports say FNAC smear prepared from right breast reveal abundant neutrophils admixed with few lymphocytes and some foamy macrophages. Few groups and sheets of benign ductal epithelial cells with apocrine changes in some of them is noted. Nuclear crowding and nuclear overlapping are also seen in some of these ductal cells. No granuloma or atypical cells are noted. Acute suppurative lesion of the right breast. Could you please tell me if the reports are suggestive of a breast cancer?

#

As per your FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the lesion looks suggestive of a breast abscess and not suggestive of a breast cancer. But FNAC is not confirmatory. Your ultrasound report was not attached. You need a mammogram and ultrasound. The lesion in the breast needs to be scored using BI-RADS (breast imaging reporting and data system). For now, I think you should be treated with a course of antibiotics and a mammogram and ultrasound should be done after two weeks. Please meet a surgeon to get an antibiotic prescription. He or she may also aspirate the lesion for culture.

The suggested antibiotic are:

1. Capsule Ampiclox (combination of Ampicillin and Flucloxacillin) 1 g, three times daily for a week.
  2. Tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg, once daily for a week.
  3. Tablet Perinorm (Metoclopramide) 10 mg, three times daily for a week.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Please share the reports after two weeks. Are you breastfeeding? As that could explain why you have an abscess. A breast abscess can occur even without breastfeeding but it is a risk factor. Also please check your sugars if not checked recently.

Revert with more information to a radiation oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiation-oncologist

|