Q. My lower teeth gum color varies. Please clarify if I have gingivitis.

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jan 23, 2017

I do not know if I have gingivitis. The gums of my front teeth in the lower jaw have a small hint of pale pink. But, on the right side, it shows a hint of a darker pink. Also, my teeth look larger on the back side. Is that normal? Please help me.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• You sound absolutely fine. The normal color of the gums is coral pink, and there will also be some random distribution of dark shades over the gums sometimes even brownish.
  • The dark colour is nothing but melanin pigmentation which is again a normal feature of the gums.
  • Regarding the lower tooth looking larger in size, I suspect it to be a big chunk of calculus (chalky white tartar) present in that area. I request you to send me a picture of it for an accurate diagnosis.
  • And, the presence of calculus and slight redness around the gums is a definite sign of gingivitis.

Revert with the photos to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Kindly give some insight on how everyday habits affect the teeth.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.  Read Full »

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »