Q. USG report shows 3 mm calculus with mild nephrosis and dilated ureter. What to do?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

I am suffering from kidney stones problem for the past four days. I took an ultrasound scan test. In the report, it mentioned that tiny 3 mm calculus is seen in the upper pole of the left kidney. Mild hydronephrosis is noted on the left side with dilated ureter due to obstructing 4.5 mm calculus in the lower ureter.

Doctor prescribed me Dytor, Aceclofenac and Paracetamol, Drotavarine Hydrochloride and Mefenamic acid tablets. But, today again my sharp abdominal pain is seen. What to do? Please suggest.

#

Stones smaller than 6 mm are likely to pass without any intervention. Those that are larger than 6 mm or which cause severe pain, vomiting, or fever need surgical removal (endoscopic). In your case, the stone should pass in a few days time. If pain recurs, you can go for admission and flush therapy (intravenous fluids to flush out stone) for one or two days.

You can stop either Aceclofenac or Mefenamic acid as both are pain killers. Take either of the two. Also, add Capsule Urimax 0.4 mg (Tamsulosin and Dutasteride) once daily for five days, this may relax your ureter and help decrease the pain.

Repeat USG (ultrasound) after five to seven days to confirm the stone passage.

Can I experience the passing of stone? Will it go out wholly or will it scatter into pieces and go out without causing pain?

#

Usually, when the stone passes from ureter into the bladder, there may be a sharp pain followed by sudden relief, with or without one or two drops of blood in the urine. It then passes out through urethra easily. Sometimes you may not notice unless you urinate into a urine pot.

|