Gum Disease

The gum near my wisdom tooth is painful. Will it lead to further gum disease?

Query: Hello doctor, The gum near my wisdom tooth is a little sore when I wake up from sleep. I can also feel pain when I chew food. I have attached a picture of it. I have been having this for a few years now. It is not a massive pain, so it is manageable, and I do not mind it if there are no other compl...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem mainly in your case seems to be food lodgement behind (distal) the wisdom tooth causing prolonged gum infection and discomfort for a few years. In such instances in which patient has been experiencing pain, it is suggested to remove such wisdom tooth to a...  Read Full »

I have a small red lump on my gums which bleeds during brushing. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a small red lump on my gums. Not sure if it is an abscess or something and wants some advice. It is red and bleeds when I brush, and there is only pain when I brush.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how long do you have this lump? It could be an abscess, but need a clear picture of it for confirmation. Is there any decayed tooth associated with it nearby? If possible, send pictures or go to a nearby dentist.   Read Full »

Is chewing toothpicks bad for you?

Query: Hello doctor, Are birchwood toothpicks hard enough to cause damage to tooth enamel? Do they cause damage to the teeth in any way? I have pored over the internet for the answer to this question, with many dentists recommending that toothpicks should not be used or chewed on, or saying that it can cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We use toothpicks in the anatomical spaces present between the teeth. The spaces are called as embrasures. While you use the toothpick, you lacerate the gingival tissue that covers those spaces (the cone-shaped gingiva present between the teeth) that results in the cr...  Read Full »

What should I do for a swollen painful tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a toothache, and my mouth is swollen which I can feel it in my face. When I press my mouth, I noticed little pus coming out. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a case of acute alveolar abscess from a tooth infection. Let me check your attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I will advise and initiate treatment protocol accordingly. I checked your attachments. Your teeth are carious and gross...  Read Full »

Kindly give some insight on how everyday habits affect the teeth.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Smoking adversely affects the gum health as the gum disease becomes less apparent in smokers and they show symptoms once the condition becomes severe. Secondly, it can cause pigmentation leading to smoker's melanosis (brown to black pigmentation of gums). Other ill effe...  Read Full »

I have receding and weak gums. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor,I have an issue regarding my gums. For the past few days, I have been feeling that my gums are becoming weak and thin as they are leaving my teeth and going down from my teeth. I want to say that a part of the teeth which is hidden under gum is showing. I am a smoker and I am already tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query and I can understand your concern. Receding gums can be a problem associated with many factors. It is known as the recession of gums. I would like to know if you have a habit of brushing your teeth hard. Smoking causes stains on teeth ...  Read Full »

Will smoking marijuana after a root canal treatment affect healing process?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it safe or risk to my healing process, if I smoke marijuana following a root canal treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. K Shobana

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not safe to smoke marijuana after a root canal treatment. It can increase the pain in the root canal treated tooth. It delays the healing process, and it causes pain. If there is a pain, you can consider taking medications prescribed by your dentist. Stop smoking ...  Read Full »

I brush my teeth twice daily. Even then my teeth are yellow. What to do?

Query: Hello Doctor,    I am 18 years old. I brush my teeth twice daily. Even then my teeth are yellow.    What can I do to make my teeth appear white?   Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Even after brushing twice daily, if your teeth remain yellow then there are chances of calculus deposits on your teeth. Brushing alone does not remove calculi. A painless dental procedure called scaling has to be done immediately. Scaling is a must for you at this stage b...  Read Full »

I have a swelling on gums and it bleeds when I touch. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I woke up this morning with this dried up blood in between my upper front teeth and blood comes out when I touch it. It does not hurt, and when I brush my teeth, I can see it move. I have not noticed any changes in my gums or teeth. My gums usually bleed when the bristles of my toothbrush...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like there is a deep infection in the gums in that localized area and there can also be periodontal pocket formation. As you also bleeding on brushing, it further indicates towar...  Read Full »

Am I in trouble with 20% gum bone loss at the age of 45?

Query: Hi doctor, I was told that my gums are fine with most of them at level 3 and a few in level 4. One doctor said that I have some bone loss, but there is no big deal. Another qualified dentist said that bone loss is 20%. Now, I am scared. Am I in trouble with 20% bone loss at the age 45? I have a prev...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The amount of bone loss that is 20% is not alarming at 45 years of age. It is routinely seen in patients at this age. There is no need to worry as it does not mean that the tooth will fall off soon. Try to maintain the current level by using a warm salt water gargle twice...  Read Full »