Q. Is gum disease causing bleeding in mouth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I woke this morning and cleared my throat and there was blood in my saliva and then later some in the saliva in my mouth. I have gum disease and my top back teeth, gums are tender. Could that have caused the bleeding?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

Yes, gum disease can cause such oral bleeding. You should first get your teeth and gums cleaned by a dentist. Apply an oral antibiotic gel over gums. Use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week. Sometimes gum surgeries may be needed to remove infections and heal the gums in severe cases.

| 

I have had no repeat of the bleeding except when brushing or flossing. I find it hard to believe the bleeding could just start spontaneously.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

If you have gum disease, yes bleeding can start spontaneously. There are many minute veins which gets engorged when there is gingival swelling and can lead to bleeding while chewing food or while brushing, etc. If possible, send pictures of gums for help in diagnosis. You should do as I said, and get your teeth and gums cleaned and start using warm salt water gargle.

| 

What can be done for spongy bleeding gums in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My parents are diabetic and living in a village where non-treated water is consumed daily for everything other than drinking which is rich in minerals, algal blooms, dirt, etc. Suggest me a toothpaste which is better considering this kind of locality. Their gums are bleeding and exper...  Read Full »

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »

I am coughing for last one month. Do I have tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. I am coughing from last 1 month. In between, it was alright but again started. I do not have any fever, nor chest pain. Even the sputum which comes out is also normal in color. I do not have any problem with sleeping or normal breathing. But, in case when I breathe out...  Read Full »