Q. What could be the cause of bleeding from the mouth?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I have been experiencing bleeding in my mouth for the past three to six months. There is no bleeding from the gums, but sometimes, there is blood when I spit. What do you think is the problem?

#

I understand your concern.

The most common cause of blood in spit is gum bleeding. But if you think the problem is not related to dental issues, please consult your specialist doctor, discuss it with them, and take the medicines with their consent. Gum bleeding and blood in morning spit indicate a gum condition called gingivitis. Although you do not see constant blood ooze from gums and only when you spit, this could still be from gums.

Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums caused due to constant irritation by tartar or calculus (hardened yellow deposits on the tooth). Food deposits or plaque that settles on the tooth gets calcified in the long run and becomes hardened calculus deposits. As a result, constantly irritated gums become weak and bleed when we brush or in the morning after waking up. An ultrasonic scaler does a professional scaling and polishing procedure to remove that calculus. Once removed, the gums take a day to heal, and the gum bleeding will stop the next morning. Please visit your dentist and get this procedure done.

This procedure can be done once in six months if required. Although we do a proper brushing every day, there are certain spots between teeth where the bristles fail to reach. Hence professional tooth cleaning is always advised once in a while. In addition, there are specific brushing techniques that can be followed to prevent calculus accumulation.

|