Q. I am seeing glare or haze and rainbow around light sources. Kindly help.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 01, 2019

I am 24-year-old male, and for about two years, I experience seeing haze or glare and rainbow around light sources. It all began in about two years ago, and it gradually gets bigger over time. The intensity of those symptoms does not fluctuate. It is the same throughout the whole day and is constant. I do not experience any eye pain.

I have been to the ophthalmologist, and I had a lot of eye exams, everything is fine with my cornea. I do not have any dystrophies or keratoconus. My eye pressure is also normal 16 and 19 mm Hg, and everything is fine with my retina. So could you suggest what it could be? My ophthalmologist thinks that it may be glaucoma, but I am not sure about that, because symptoms are constant (they gradually gets more intensive over months, but throughout days or weeks it is the same).

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Seeing colors around lights signifies following things,

1. Glaucoma though your eye pressures are normal but have you undergone a gonioscopy and automated fields test. These two are essential to establish a diagnosis.

2. Early onset cataract. But since you have been to an ophthalmologist, I do not think he would have missed it.

3. Optic nerve involvement. To rule out this, you will need V.E.P (visual evoked potentials) and an MRI of orbit and brain.

Please do get these tests are done and follow-up.

Is it necessary to use four eye drops to control eye pressure?

Query: Hi doctor, Four eye drops are used in combination to control eye pressure in case of glaucoma. They are Dorzolamide, Timolol, Brimonidine and Xalatan. In what sequence with how much gap should they be given to control eye pressure? Also for controlling afternoon pressure, either Dorzolamide or Brimo...  Read Full »

My intraocular pressure has risen to 16, to 21. Will it continue to increase?

Query: Hello doctor,Over the past six years or so, my intraocular pressure (both eyes) has risen to 16, to 19, and now to 21. Will it continue to increase still? Kindly help.  Read Full »

My eye pressure is slightly above average, does it mean glaucoma?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a few questions about glaucoma. I recently had my yearly eye check-up, and my doctor told me that my eye pressure is slightly above average. I know that having a high eye pressure can cause glaucoma, and it leads to permanent blindness. I do not have any pain in the eye, and also...  Read Full »