Q. What can be done to manage vision and headaches in glaucoma with astigmatism?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

I am 48 years old, female. I have been diagnosed with starting glaucoma and I have all OCT scans and glaucoma screening results. I would like to know what precisely is happening with my eye. I had a bad vision already for 3 to 4 years and was wearing glasses but now it is not comfortable to wear. I also have astigmatism. I struggle to see now clearly and have constant headaches. Please let me know if you can diagnose and see what problems I am facing.

Do you have a question on Glaucoma or Astigmatism?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

MASTER IN SURGERY OPHTHALMOLOGY
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

OCT is normal. Glaucoma is in very early stage (attachment removed to protect patient identity) but you have not mentioned your intraocular pressure forastigmatism. I would suggest these options:

1. Toric contact lenses. A non-surgical procedure but contact lenses require constant care.

2. LASIK surgery preferably PRK LASIK surgery is one of the best options now but coming to my third option, phasic lens extraction and replacement with toric multifocal lenses.

Option 3 is preferable because 10 years down the line you will be needing a cataract surgery anyways. For glaucoma point of view please tell me your intraocular pressure readings.

Thank you for your reply. Can you please suggest what checks are required to see intraocular pressure?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

MASTER IN SURGERY OPHTHALMOLOGY
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

It can be checked through various small tests. The most accurate bieng applanation tonometry.

Okay, I will try to do that test tomorrow. And send you the details. For now, please also check these following results.

I also have other results which is cornea- transparent, norm of tear firm-7c and Shirmer- 35 mm, ocular fundus- excavation 0.5 to 0.6, keratometry OD- 42, 50-5, 43, 50-95, OS-42, 50-177, 43, 75-87, pachymetry OD- 394, OS- 368, macular and posterior pole degeneration (H 35.3).

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

MASTER IN SURGERY OPHTHALMOLOGY
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

The only thing to worry here is your corneal thickness less than 400 which basically rules possibilities of LASIK surgeries. Astigmatism is there but it is not such a big thing to worry. I mean corneal thickness is a bigger issue. Shrimmer is near normal and optic disc health is slightly above normal range but not something to worry. I advise you to get intraocular pressure done yearly or if possible, six-monthly follow up to repeat glaucoma-related investigations 1.

How can I get my cylindrical eye power corrected?
Query: Hi doctor, I have done an eye test recently, and I found that I need a cylindrical correction too. Earlier I used spectacles only with spherical correction. My test results show 6/18, -1.25 DC × 95, 6/6 and 6/9, -0.25/-0.75 × 75, 6/6. I would like to know whether my eye power is too wea...  Read Full >>
Dr. Skandha Harshita
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cylinder power is low, and there is nothing to worry. As there is astigmatism, the glasses have to be worn at all times. You do not need to wear glasses if you do not have symptoms like eyestrain or a headache. But if you have eyestrain and headache, you need to wea...  Read Full

What does glaucoma suspected patient mean?
Query: Hi doctor, I had eye checkup nine months back as I had light pain in right eye. The doctor advised me to get OCT and CCT. With the test reports he said that I have glaucoma. He advised me to take an eye drop named Lumigan one drop daily at night in both eyes. I am not satisfied with his opinion and ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all please relax. There is nothing to worry. All the doctors are correct. Now let me explain you. Glaucoma is a very slowly progressive disease. You are glaucoma suspect means you are at risk of glaucoma or have many predisposing factors for glaucoma, but ther...  Read Full

How to get rid of glasses?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have vision problem. I am unable to read books for more than half an hour. Also, I am not able to read for 10 minutes in computer. In my right eye the cylindrical power is -1 at axis 130 and in the left eye the cylindrical power was -0.75 at axis 40. What is the best ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have got astigmatism. It can be corrected by glasses or contact lenses. If you want to get rid of glasses, then there are different laser procedures like PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) or Femto-Lasik surgery. They are very safe and simple procedures. But, for the ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now