Q. Is high creatine kinase isoenzyme related to GSD?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

I can run slowly and do aerobic exercise for 45 minutes. But, if I try anaerobic workout I get tired very soon and feel very thirsty. I have this problem since four years. I have the ability to fast for three days or drink only water. But, when it comes to anaerobic workout like push-up or a sprint, I am unable to do. During anaerobic workout, I get the feeling of accumulation of glucose in my muscle. To do anaerobic exercise, I need to drink lots of water. When I begin to do my muscle stretching exercise after a running session of 45 minutes, my heart beat rises and I get a feeling of breathlessness. Few months back, I consulted a doctor and he told me that, I am suffering from glycogen storage disease. I would like to know which type is it. Kindly help me with the solution.

#

• I would like to know few more information to help you better. Can I know your age and sex?
  • Anyone else in your family with such disease?
  • Have you got tests for diabetes, thyroid disorders and anemia done?

Revert back with the answers to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

I am a 27 year old male. No family history of this disease. My mother is suffering from osteoarthritis because of overweight. I eat a normal and balanced diet. I got most of the tests done. My fasting blood sugar, complete blood count, creatinine phosphokinase (176 IU/L), MCV, ESR, cholesterol triglyceride, HDL, LDL, liver enzyme tests, blood bilirubin, creatinine, blood level of iron, magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium, chlorine, TSH, T4, T3, thyroglobulin, serum-protein electrophoresis, C-reactive protein, prolactin, ACTH, ADH, lactate dehydrogenase (159 IU/L), lactic acid (0.76 mmol/L), folic acid, thiamine (89 nmol/L), vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and brain MRI are found to be normal. Creatine kinase isoenzyme showed 190 IU/L at 37 degrees found to be very high. It was taken 3 days before without any sports. My albumin count is 50.0 g/L. I even consulted an ophthalmologist, psychiatrist and a neurologist but found nothing abnormal. I have attached my reports. Please have a look into it and kindly help. Thank you in advance.

#

• After having a look into the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have provided, I do not feel anything abnormal.
  • Glycogen storage disease (GSD) is usually identified at an early age.
  • You will fit into GSD type VII or XII. These two are associated with exercise-induced muscle cramps and weakness.
  • You might also have GSD type XIII. It can be associated with episodic rise in creatine kinase that decreases with rest.
  • In your case, all the investigations are normal, except for elevated levels of creatine phosphokinase.
  • To rule out any abnormality and problems associated with GSD, I would suggest you to get a muscle biopsy done.
  • For your information, I would like to make it clear that GSD are associated with hypoglycemia.

For further queries consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist                                 

|