Q. Why is there green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Published on Jan 10, 2019

Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.

#

Bright green color stool could be due to the presence of bile in stool. During a colonoscopy, you were given laxatives that might have disturbed your intestinal flora that is responsible for the yellowcolor of the stool. Also, stool must have passed rapidly through the gut. Other causes could be:

1. Fat rich diet will increase the release of bile pigments and if it moves rapidly, your stool will be green. It occurs during a period of stress or infections.

2. Rarely diet rich in green leafy vegetables can cause green color stools, if malabsorption ensues or due to not chewing properly.

3. If you have any other symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting or green stools, do not stop within the next 12 to 14 hours. Then I would suggest you consult your doctor. You can take probiotics to build up your intestinal flora.

How to treat loose motions in a 12 days old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 days old baby boy has more frequent loose motions of up to 15 to 20 times a day. I am afraid of this. What is the treatment for this?  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. At 12 days of age, there can be increased frequency of stools, but the stool amount should be very less and not watery. The stools can be green or yellow in color, which is normal at this age. However, if there are decreased feeding, fever, ...  Read Full

Can Pankaja kasthuri breathe easy cause green stool and lower abdominal pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 3 months old baby and am breastfeeding him. I had a cold and continuous cough for the past one month. So, I am having Pankaja kasthuri breathe easy since yesterday. Today, my stools are green colored, and I have lower abdominal pain. What can be the cause and how can I manage i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pankaja kasthuri breathe easy is a herbal product, and it does not contain any materials that cause green stool. It is safe, and you can continue it if you have any breathing trouble, asthmatic issues, respiratory infection or cold and cough. There are several causes t...  Read Full

I have rectal bleeding on and off for a year. Should I ask for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32-year-old female. For almost a year, I have had rectal bleeding on and off. I started to have painful bowel movements and then I began to bleed. The blood is on my stool, in the toilet (at times) and when I wipe, I can see it on the toilet paper. Other symptoms I experience are ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the doctor who did the PR examination could not find any significant hemorrhoids, it is better to get a colonoscopy done. Do not worry about cancer as the most likely possibility is a missed internal hemorrhoid. The itching can be due to perianal soiling, fungal inf...  Read Full