Guillian Barre Syndrome

What does the unknown neurological condition I am diagnosed with mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who is 5.4 feet, and I weighs 157 lbs. I am looking for a name for my condition. The only medication I take is Imipramine hydrochloride¬†40 mg tablets each day. I have been told that I have a neurological condition, but the symptoms do not follow any diagnosi...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeremy David O' Kennedy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your prolonged symptoms, I can understand your frustration. Your complaints mostly encompass two of the most complex systems of medicine, that is neurology and immunology. There is a lot we know, but that probably makes up just 20 % of what is yet to b...  Read Full »

Could you tell the recovery time for GB syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old. He has been suffering from GB syndrome for a month. Now, he is admitted to ITU under ventilation. IVIG has already been given. Also, the second dose of IVIG is started. Could you please tell me the recovery time of this disease?   Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your question is very genuine. The family members of every GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome) patient do ask us this question. The issue here is realistically, and unfortunately, we do not have a definite answer. The range of improvement time frame is from a few weeks to m...  Read Full »

Is my muscle twitching due to the rare autoimmune disorder GBS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. And I have been experiencing muscle twitching in my hands and legs for more than three months. And I also have occasional chest pains. My feet are too cold even when I am in a hot shower. I had my Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 16 days ago. I read abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Thank you for the query.Kindly answer me the following to help you better;1) Do you have any weight loss?2) Do you have weakness in the hands and feet?3) Do you have difficulty in breathing? I suggest you do ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein),...  Read Full »

Does COVID-19 cause numbness and tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Query: Hello doctor,I had COVID a month ago. During COVID, I started having pain in my joints and muscle, along with numbness in my hands and feet. The numbness is worse in the tip of the toes and fingers. It has continued and got worse now. I am on Gabapentin, but it does not help much. I have constant nu...  Read Full »

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. Your symptoms of pins and needles sensation on the distal parts of extremities seem to be related to the nerve. It may be a complication of COVID (Coronavirus Disease-2019) or a post-viral neuropathy. Kindly answer me the following to help ...  Read Full »

What causes peripheral neuropathy?

Query: Hi doctor, My father was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer last month. Before that, he could not walk, and he became paralyzed entirely (arms and legs). We then took him to a local hospital, and the neurologist mentioned that he has Guillain-Barre syndrome, and they treated him for that. However,...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra Kumar Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation. I have seen the reports and documents (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It shows carcinoma of the lung, probably small cell carcinoma associated with peripheral neuropathy and paraneoplastic syndrome due to Carcinoma o...  Read Full »

Why did I develop Guillain-Barre syndrome after swine flu vaccination?

Query: Hi doctor, I developed Guillain-Barre syndrome after I receive the swine flu vaccine. Can I ask if it would be recommended for me to get the COVID-19 vaccine, or is there any particular vaccine I should avoid? I would appreciate any advice possible.  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your past happening. GBS after a vaccine is a known complication post-vaccination. GBS is a disease that can occur even after an episode of sore throat or diarrhea. So it happens because, after infection, our body makes antibodies that cross-react w...  Read Full »

What are the chances of GBS recurring?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend suffers¬†from a very rare disorder called GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome). Initially, she was attacked by the virus three years back and was treated successfully. Now, it has relapsed before two days. I want to ask how this is going to affect our future married life. Is there...  Read Full »

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understood your concern. As per theory, between 5% and 10% of patients with typical GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome) have one or more late relapse. Such cases are then classified as chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CI...  Read Full »

Why am I having right ear fullness and background noise?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having right ear fullness and it started several days ago. Last night I awoke due to a pulsating pain in my right ear. I hear some background noise and in silent environment, it is most evident. Is that fine? I had Bell's palsy 2.5 months ago on the left side and again, a month ago o...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having sensorineural hearing loss. It is in early stage and mild. So, you are having pulsation in the ear. Another important thing is bilateral Bell's palsy. It is not common. Having facial palsy is not good and the developing sensorineural component...  Read Full »

What can be done for motor and sensory nerve weakness in an AIDP patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My hands and legs are very weak for the past two years. The doctor diagnosed that I have AIDP or Guillian-barre syndrome. He gave me some medicines such as Methylcobalamin and other supplements and in the acute 12 IV injections of Cobalamin and I am recovering but I think very slowly....  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. AIDP or GBS is an autoimmune disease. Which can be primary or also can be secondary other autoimmune diseases. As you are telling that you are recovering, it is a good thing. There is no medicine for rapid recovery after six months. Only medication available is for s...  Read Full »