Guillian Barre Syndrome

What are the chances of GBS recurring?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend suffers from a very rare disorder called GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome). Initially, she was attacked by the virus three years back and was treated successfully. Now, it has relapsed before two days. I want to ask how this is going to affect our future married life. Is there...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understood your concern. As per theory, between 5% and 10% of patients with typical GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome) have one or more late relapse. Such cases are then classified as chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CI...  Read Full »

Why am I having right ear fullness and background noise?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having right ear fullness and it started several days ago. Last night I awoke due to a pulsating pain in my right ear. I hear some background noise and in silent environment, it is most evident. Is that fine? I had Bell's palsy 2.5 months ago on the left side and again, a month ago o...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having sensorineural hearing loss. It is in early stage and mild. So, you are having pulsation in the ear. Another important thing is bilateral Bell's palsy. It is not common. Having facial palsy is not good and the developing sensorineural component...  Read Full »

What can be done for motor and sensory nerve weakness in an AIDP patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My hands and legs are very weak for the past two years. The doctor diagnosed that I have AIDP or Guillian-barre syndrome. He gave me some medicines such as Methylcobalamin and other supplements and in the acute 12 IV injections of Cobalamin and I am recovering but I think very slowly....  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. AIDP or GBS is an autoimmune disease. Which can be primary or also can be secondary other autoimmune diseases. As you are telling that you are recovering, it is a good thing. There is no medicine for rapid recovery after six months. Only medication available is for s...  Read Full »

Could you tell the recovery time for GB syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 5 years old. He has been suffering from GB syndrome since a month. Now, he is admitted in ITU under ventilation. IVIG has already been given. Also, the second dose of IVIG is also started. Could you please tell me the recovery time of this diseases?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your question is very genuine. The family members of every GBS (Guillain-Barre Syndrome) patient do ask us this question. The issue here is realistically, and unfortunately, we do not have a definite answer. The range of improvement time frame is from a few weeks to mont...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with an unknown neurological condition. What does that mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who is 5.4 feet, and I weighs 157 lbs. I am looking for a name for my condition. The only medication I take is Imipramine hydrochloride 40 mg tablets each day. I have been told that I have a neurological condition, but the symptoms do not follow any diagnosi...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your prolonged symptoms, I can understand your frustration. Your complaints mostly encompass two of the most complex systems of medicine, that is neurology and immunology. There is a lot we know, but that probably makes up just 20 % of what is yet to b...  Read Full »