Q. Is there any chance for recurrence of GBS?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

My girlfriend suffers from a very rare disorder called GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome). Initially, she was attacked by the virus three years back and was treated successfully. Now, it has relapsed before two days. I want to ask how this is going to affect our future married life. Is there any chance of recurrence?

#

I have read your question with care and understood your concern.

• As per theory, between 5% and 10% of patients with typical GBS (Guillain-Barre syndrome) have one or more late relapse. Such cases are then classified as chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP).
  • Yes, there is a chance of recurrence. But, this can be treated.
  • Hence, this will not affect your married life in the future.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|