Q. I am having muscle weakness from childhood. What to do further?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I am 21 years old. I have muscle weakness in both arms and legs since childhood. I cannot climb stairs without support and I feel tired most of the day. I cannot stand for long and also cannot run or walk. My legs and feet always get numb. I have decreased sensory sensations in both feet. A few months back, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and vitiligo. I visited a doctor last month. My EMG and nerve conduction study shows symmetrical sensory motor demyelinating polyneuropathy with clinical diagnosis of CIDP. CPK is 227 (reference range 24-195 U/L). I am on Prednisolone 45 mg, Levothyroxine 100 mcg and multivitamins for the past 17 days. Please guide me about my disease, prognosis and any rehabilitation that might help.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I have read your question with care and understand your concerns. My opinion is as below:

You are having both myopathy and neuropathy. You need to get treatment for both.

Hypothyroidism and vitiligo are may be signs of abnormal functioning of the pituitary gland. You have to do a complete pituitary hormone profile along with thyroid profile.

Please also do a diabetic profile and lipid profile. The further course of action can be decided based on the reports.

1. Complete pituitary hormone profile along with thyroid profile.
2. Diabetic profile.
3. Lipid profile.

Revert back with the reports to a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

How is vitiligo on lips treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has vitiligo on her lower lip. It came to our notice this year, and we consulted a doctor immediately. The doctor gave Dicaris 150 mg to be taken on the weekends of every week for four months. She finished 32 Dicaris tablets so far. She also used Melbild lotion at night and s...  Read Full »